The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
BrianPlaster

Wiring on my 72 c10

I need help and advice
After many attempts to fix my wiring issues I decided to yank and cut all the old stuff out , all of it !
I've been working on my 72' off and on for 5 years and the wiring is always an issue
I've got a dream of having the bare essential and that's it / no heat no radio and only a rpm , fuel and temp gauge

Any suggestions on wiring harness virus's just simply running wire ?
BrianPlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
cigar-

Re: Wiring on my 72 c10

I tried the same thing. It was a failed attempt at making the original wiring work in a truck that was over 40years old. It doesn't work!!

I'm in the wire manufacturing business. I now better. I know what was used back then and the materials weren't meant to last this long. The vinyl simply breaks down and becomes brittle. You bend the wires and it cracks. There I s NO way around replacing it all. If you try to splice in new wire, you have hundreds of joints that can and will fail later down the line.

here is my recommendation and this I s what I did. I bought a wiring kit from a Ron Francis dealer. If you want his name, I can fill you in, He's VERY competitive in pricing.

The kit comes with all the wires printed with circuit names on them. If you don't want to run a wire, you don't have to. I recommend running anything you might want to use later on. Use heat shrink tubing to encapsulate as much as you can to keep it clean looking and your done. You should be able to wire a complete truck in two to four days.....including mounting the new fuse panel which is MUCH better than the old one.

If you have any other questions, get back to me.
cigar- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
BrianPlaster

Sounds exactly what I thinking / any info is great and I'm not in a huge hurry but love to get it in the works
BrianPlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
mrein3

Since I usually have WAY more time than money I fixed the original wiring on my truck. I didn't replace it all, just the stuff that was suspect.

The trick is to not splice any wires, just replace the whole wire. Start with ordering a good supply of Type 56 Female connectors. NAPA part number 725147 (picture below). Most wires have a female connector on each end. The end can be taken out of the plastic connector with a small, flat bladed screwdriver. There are a few male Type 56's in your truck. That PN is 725145 at NAPA.

Use a wiring diagram (google this site for a color download) and pick up new wire in bulk at Menard's/Lowes/Home Depot.

It is easiest to replace the wire if you can remove the entire wiring harness you are working from the vehicle.

Some of the plastic "plugs" or "connectors" that the wires latch in to are available. The LMC catalog has a page with a good selection. Other suppliers are available too. The connectors believe it or not are standard and available from other, cheaper suppliers but even at LMC they are cheap enough that it might not be worth your time to scour the internets for the plug you want when you can just order it from a known truck supplier.

I hope this helps.

I don't work for NAPA, LMC, Menard's, Lowes, or Home Depot
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote