The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
72bbblu

A/C Lockup

So, I'm making a quick run in BabyBlu the other day and started to notice a periodic irregular ticking noise. When I got to my destination, I kept her running and checked under the hood. The noise was coming from the A/C clutch. I have avoided turneding the A/C on because I don't know the condition of the compressor. I've been waiting to get it to a recommended shop and let him do the first test on it. I did turn it on briefly once about a month ago just to see if the clutch engaged and the compressor turned. It seemed fine and quiet so I turned it back off. Not been on since.

So a few minutes later, I'm headed home (about 3 miles) and the noise continues. About a mile from the house, it goes to a horrible loud whine. I pulled over ASAP and shut her down. Lift the hood and the A/C belt is smoking, the clutch seems to have locked up. I cut the belt off and drove on home. The alternator belt was still running the water pump.

Since it locked up and smoked the belt, is it possible it's only the clutch or did the clutch lock up and the compressor is probably also locked?
72bbblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Longhorn 70

Re: A/C Lockup

It's probable that the clutch bearing locked up as well as compressor. Is this the axial compressor?

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9

Last edited by Longhorn 70; 01-22-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
72bbblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
It's probable that the clutch bearing locked up as well as compressor. Is this the axial compressor?
As far as I know, it's the stock Four Seasons compressor. So far, everything has been stock on this truck and this looks to be an original part. I believe the stock compressor was a 6 vane axial?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Longhorn 70

Try to turn the clutch plate. If it does turn you may have only lost the clutch bearing. If not, you lost more.....
Attached Images

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: A/C Lockup

If the AC compressor wasn't on and it locked up on you while driving it then you can pretty much bet on replacing it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
72bbblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
Try to turn the clutch plate. If it does turn you may have only lost the clutch bearing. If not, you lost more.....
It's Free! It's FREE!

Okay, I'm calm now. So the next question: Parts site (Rock) has the clutch listed. Is it actually the clutch that has failed or a bearing? Can you tell from the pic on RockAuto if the parts I need will be included? LMC doesn't show anything besides the compressor assembly, but if you know of another place to source these parts, I'm all ears.

Thanks for what (so far) appears to be good news.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Bigdav160

If you cannot turn the pulley with the truck off, you can be sure the pulley bearing is shot.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Longhorn 70

That is good news.

Just a note on A6 compressors, EVERYTHING needs a special tool to do the job correctly.

I usually just find an AC shop and bring the compressor in. Have it repaired, flushed and filled with new oil. If you don't want to purge and refill, see if you can get the tool from AutoZone or Oreilly on their loan a toll program.

Here is a good how to page. Best of luck.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bbblu View Post
It's Free! It's FREE!

Okay, I'm calm now. So the next question: Parts site (Rock) has the clutch listed. Is it actually the clutch that has failed or a bearing? Can you tell from the pic on RockAuto if the parts I need will be included? LMC doesn't show anything besides the compressor assembly, but if you know of another place to source these parts, I'm all ears.

Thanks for what (so far) appears to be good news.
No need to remove the compressor or drain the Freon. Either buy the tools and replace the clutch or take the entire truck to the shop and have the clutch assembly replaced.

It's a tight squeeze against the fan shroud so you may have to remove it and maybe the trans cooler line but I'd try it first. I was able to squeeze it by on mine IF I remember it's been a long time.

Hard to tell about the Rock Auto picture as no picture or no link provided. This is what I looked up and it does include bearing.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...552&cc=1410073

This is the tool kit you will need. Even with shipping it's likely cheaper than the cost of shop labor to replace that clutch.
http://www.sears.com/astro-pneumatic...&mktRedirect=y

And not 100% necessary but lots easier with real snap ring pliers.
http://local.kmart.com/Craftsman-PC-...x00002xlpla#!/

That's a very good link provided by Longhorn 70 for the procedure, and do try to get the tools on loaner first but they might want you to buy their parts. Hey, see how much they want, might be cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 01-23-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add-on
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
72bbblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
No need to remove the compressor or drain the Freon. Either buy the tools and replace the clutch or take the entire truck to the shop and have the clutch assembly replaced.

It's a tight squeeze against the fan shroud so you may have to remove it and maybe the trans cooler line but I'd try it first. I was able to squeeze it by on mine IF I remember it's been a long time.

Hard to tell about the Rock Auto picture as no picture or no link provided. This is what I looked up and it does include bearing.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...552&cc=1410073

This is the tool kit you will need. Even with shipping it's likely cheaper than the cost of shop labor to replace that clutch.
http://www.sears.com/astro-pneumatic...&mktRedirect=y

And not 100% necessary but lots easier with real snap ring pliers.
http://local.kmart.com/Craftsman-PC-...x00002xlpla#!/

That's a very good link provided by Longhorn 70 for the procedure, and do try to get the tools on loaner first but they might want you to buy their parts. Hey, see how much they want, might be cheaper in the long run.
Excellent info! I've got some really nice snap ring pliers...learned their value years ago. My neighbor works at Autozone and I can get their tools without buying anything else. Just used their bearing installer on my boat trailer last week.

I've NEVER done anything with air cond so this is a new world for me. I've got a good friend who does home heat/ac and he said he has gauges and pump to purge/refill mine. Guess I'll need to flush it and replace the drier/filter/orafice at the same time. Fortunately I've got a few months before I'll need chilling.

Thanks to all for all the help!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bbblu View Post
Excellent info! I've got some really nice snap ring pliers...learned their value years ago. My neighbor works at Autozone and I can get their tools without buying anything else. Just used their bearing installer on my boat trailer last week.

I've NEVER done anything with air cond so this is a new world for me. I've got a good friend who does home heat/ac and he said he has gauges and pump to purge/refill mine. Guess I'll need to flush it and replace the drier/filter/orafice at the same time. Fortunately I've got a few months before I'll need chilling.

Thanks to all for all the help!
You DON'T need to drain the Freon. If it cooled before, it'll cool again after you fix the clutch.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I don't see that you tried to turn the compressor by hand. If you can, all you need to replace is the shoe portion of the clutch. The AC is engaged by an electromagnet, and disengages when the magnet is de-energized. The springs in the shoe weaken with age and allow the shoe to drag, causing lots of smoke. Check it out.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:58 PM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

All you will probably need is the brg. It is available at any parts store. You can do it right on the truck using the special tools. If you cant do it by removeing the shroud you can unbolt the comp. & tip it up.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #14
72bbblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I don't see that you tried to turn the compressor by hand. If you can, all you need to replace is the shoe portion of the clutch. The AC is engaged by an electromagnet, and disengages when the magnet is de-energized. The springs in the shoe weaken with age and allow the shoe to drag, causing lots of smoke. Check it out.
On post #4 from Longhorn, He said to see if the front of the pulley would turn. It did, so here's hoping the compressor is okay. I'm going to use the video posts to pull the clutch down and see what I've got. I'm always up for learning something new.