The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
MaNdEr

Custom Dash thoughts

Im thinking about making a custom dash with new style gauges and I had some questions as this is my first project/build. what I need to know is if I can just hook up the various gauges to the various sensors and run them like that and get rid of the wiring that usually plugs into the back of the cluster.
MaNdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: Custom Dash thoughts

Depends on what gauges you get. Most aftermarket gauges will be wired separate straight to a fuse block. As for sensors, what is your engine set up? What truck do you have? Any pics?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Churchill

You most likely have to use whatever wiring comes with the guages. they all hook up in the same places but there may be different sending units to use like if you go from mechanical oil pressure to digital oil pressure or from mechanical engine temperature to digital.
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
MaNdEr

Its a 1967 Chevy Pickup Short bed with what I think is a 1979 chevy small block with a manual 4 speed. im pretty sure I can just run the various sensor wires and what not to the gauges just fine and im considering getting a fuse block from Painless Performance.. anyone have some pictures would be great
MaNdEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
SHANE 73Z

Are you doing a full rewire at the moment?

If you are, any of the harness manufacturers (Painless included) should have provision for running a full array of electric gauges.

If you wanted to integrate into the stock wiring harness, it would be a little more difficult but not impossible. This is due to the fact that at least the oil pressure gauge was mechanical in a stock cluster and an ammeter as opposed to a volt meter.

Most aftermarket gauges should come with their own sending units. You should be conscience of the fuel gauge as you want the gauge to match the stock sender.

This should get you started,
Shane