The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
rgunlock

Re: Warhoop re-hab

So are you planning to swap the 4wd's suspension and rear drive-train to your 59 frame, or transplant the 59 body onto the 4wd chassis? I've modified a 76 Blazer chassis for my 59 body, but just got a new 59 frame and plan to reverse direction.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #27
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
So are you planning to swap the 4wd's suspension and rear drive-train to your 59 frame, or transplant the 59 body onto the 4wd chassis? I've modified a 76 Blazer chassis for my 59 body, but just got a new 59 frame and plan to reverse direction.
I want to keep the 59 frame. Its straight and in decent shape. On the rear i plan on swaping the K10 hangers over to the 59 frame so i can run the K10 rear leafs.
On the front its not going to be so simple. I will have to use something fabbed on the front.
The reason for wanting to go to newer springs is, the originals are sagging and need replaced/rearched anyway.

The first thing i need to get busy on is figuring out tire size/lift and exacly how high i want it. I dont want it in the sky so the B52 swap on the front is probably out of the question. I would like to try it for the ride quality but at 4" lift in the front it would mean 8" in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #28
rgunlock

What's the issue with moving the front hangers from the K10? I haven't started doing any measuring with mine, but maybe you can point out something I should be looking out for.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
What's the issue with moving the front hangers from the K10? I haven't started doing any measuring with mine, but maybe you can point out something I should be looking out for.
Check out DYNO's setup. I like the way he did the front.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6016236
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #30
meter swinger

a few more pics of the donor, I just realized one these I put on here already.
It looks like it has roller rockers, I don't know the cam spec but its really lopey. has the old 60's era camel heads. Does not seem to be leaking any fluids other than a trans coolant line. It's on 38's, actual measurement is about 35.75". I wont be running crazy tires on the 59, maybe 32''.

If any one has pics of 58-59 fleets that are 4wd post them up if you can. just trying to get more visual reference with the fleetside bed wheel wells in relation to the front wheel wells on 4wd trucks. I realize that I will have more discrepancy between the two on my truck than a stepside will, but im trying to get a better idea of where I need to be in tire size. as I get further along I'll probably do some plywood cutouts.
Attached Images

Last edited by meter swinger; 05-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #31
dubie

Oooooh that makes me wanna go muddin
Posted via Mobile Device

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
OrrieG

here are photos of mine. 74 K10 axles on stock 59 frame and springs. Front is bolted directly to the bottom of the springs, rear required 4" Rancho blocks to level it out. I don't have any rear photos, but can take one if you want to see it. Tire/wheel in the photos are 7.50 x 16 on stock 16" steel wheels. In the side photo you can see the only thing that hangs down is the transfer case (NP203) and mount. Everything else, including exhaust, is tucked up above the bottom frame rail, nothing to get hung up on brush, fallen trees, etc. As you can see I use my truck in the boonies, not a show queen. I positioned my engine, transmission and transfer based on the stock front driveline width. The SBC sits about 1-1.5" off of the firewall so in theory using the later model frame yours should fit the same. Mine came out of a long bed so the rear drive line was shortened.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 05-24-2013 at 02:05 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #33
OrrieG

I wasn't real clear on engine placement. I ment to say I placed the engine/transmission and transfer based on the stock driveline length, no modification. Since the engine had good clearance to the fire wall I then fabbed the front engine mounts. So we know the front axle centerline/engine/firewall relationship will work unchanged. You should be able to position the wheels in the center of the front fender and the firewall will land like mine did. Variable will be the height of the engine and trans tunnel opening. On mine every thing is below the floor, I use a flat tranny cover, no hump. This all assumes a SBC engine, if you have a BB you will probably have to massage the firewall. Hope this is clearer...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #34
meter swinger

Thank you orrie. I need to go through youre thread again its been awhile since i looked at it. I did save the page with the pic of the steering box mount plate.
I plan on keeping the 59 frame, but using the 75 hangers and leafs. I have a k10 12bolt in the rear now but with TF springs. The 75 has 4" blocks on the rear so ill swap those over too. I just have a little fabricating to do to get the k10 springs up front as the squarebody frames are 28" @ the horns where the front hangers are as oppsed to 34" on the 59, hopefully the ride will be worth the work.

As for the engine i need to move it forward slightly, right now its too tight for HEI. I will keep the 327 thats in the truck now, and its hung on a tube engine crossmember which will give me a little bit of verical adjustment. As for the Tcase, ill probably use the crossmember on the
75, but i may have to make something if i cant get the driveline sitting right with stock 75 one. It would be nice to have a flat trans hump. I need to mock mine up and see if i can get there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
OrrieG

Here is what I did for the trans/transfer mount. Just added 6" to the stock 74 one and bolted it to the side of the frame with grade 8 bolts. Tranfer output and pinion are not parallel but I have never had any vibration issues.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #36
octanejunkie

This was getting interesting... what happened?

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote