The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
thotfulspot

Build Sheet

Has anyone taken the time to put together a build sheet for their projects. I'm starting my '57 Chevy Pickup. I've been trying to keep of parts needed, but I'm sure there are parts I need that will get lost in the cracks until I need them. I don't need it all filled out, just a template to keep track of what I need and when.
thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
HUSSEY

Re: Build Sheet

I maintain a list of all the parts I've bought to keep track of what I spent. I keep it fairly simple and catorgorized by system.

You can see an example here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
to keep track of what I spent.
the exact reason i didn't track parts, deniability to the boss
ignorance is bliss :S

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
thotfulspot

I'll use it for cost and save a special to show my wife.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
thotfulspot

Quote:
I maintain a list of all the parts I've bought to keep track of what I spent. I keep it fairly simple and catorgorized by system.

You can see an example here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B29...ew?usp=sharing
That looks nice. Did you build the list for just the things you've bought, or for everything required for the build?

I suppose I could just go through the blown up diagrams on LMC or other suppliers to try to build a comprehensive list. I was hoping there was someone out there that has already done thst. Probably overkill, but a good way to burn some winter time.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
OrrieG

I have two excel spread sheets, one for supplier and costs, one for work that was needed. Both are comprehensive. Cost for future reference to track all the nickel/dime stuff. Work to keep focused and started after I had it blown apart and frame work done and painted. I did NOT track time. PM me with a email address, I am glad to share, but can't guarantee it is absolutely complete.

I would also recommend getting a Factory Assembly Manual, it will show all the small stuff that has been taken or fallen off and not replaced, sequence of assembly (reverse engineer for demo), and thing you would not even think of (like all the misc. caulking and sealant that is used to keep squeaks down and water out of crevices).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotfulspot View Post
That looks nice. Did you build the list for just the things you've bought, or for everything required for the build?

I suppose I could just go through the blown up diagrams on LMC or other suppliers to try to build a comprehensive list. I was hoping there was someone out there that has already done thst. Probably overkill, but a good way to burn some winter time.
I do it just for the things I've bought but at the bottom I threw a couple of the big ticket items in for what I expect to buy. I alaws keep in mind what I may need and watch out for the sales. Example, I bought a Flowmaster muffler last year when on sale at Jegs...saved $25 but I just installed it last week.

I don't think I would want to know just what I need to spend before starting the projet...might never have started it to begin with.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
thotfulspot

the
Quote:
I do it just for the things I've bought but at the bottom I threw a couple of the big ticket items in for what I expect to buy. I alaws keep in mind what I may need and watch out for the sales. Example, I bought a Flowmaster muffler last year when on sale at Jegs...saved $25 but I just installed it last week.

I don't think I would want to know just what I need to spend before starting the projet...might never have started it to begin with.
I'm doing it to keep track of the parts I need. More of a precaution to remember those small items I would need when it comes to assembly. I hate it when I find some pieces I forgot to order. I also live in an area that really doesn't have a speed shop or anything. I live in Flagstaff, AZ. It's about 2 hours north of Phoenix. My wife made me get some pros to do the job, but it's also 2 hour's to the shop, but only one of those hours is the same.

That's why I want to use a build sheet so I can make sure I get everything I need. They are doing the work, but I'm doing the parts acquisition. I can do thst instead of paying them to spend the hours to do it.

Last edited by thotfulspot; 01-27-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
OrrieG

Keep in mind some things should only be bought right before you are ready to roll. I am on master cylinder #3 in 10 years, could not keep it exercised enough to keep the seals from leaking. My ps box is weeping a little around the steering shart, but I am going to drive it for a while and see if the heat and use swell it back up. Also have a tranny seal aroung the shift lever that is weeping a little.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotfulspot View Post
the

I'm doing it to keep track of the parts I need. More of a precaution to remember those small items I would need when it comes to assembly. I hate it when I find some pieces I forgot to order. I also live in an area that really doesn't have a speed shop or anything. I live in Flagstaff, AZ. It's about 2 hours north of Phoenix. My wife made me get some pros to do the job, but it's also 2 hour's to the shop, but only one of those hours LS the same.

That's why I want to use a build sheet so I can make sure I get everything I need. They are doing the work, but I'm doing the parts acquisition. I can do thst instead of paying them to spend the hours to do it.
Speed shops, what are those? Back when I was in highschool, mid-90s there were multiple speed shops around town. When I got back into cars a couple of years ago I was a bit disappointed to find none of them were around anymore. The only one I could find no longer sold parts and only build engines.

I've had good luck with Jegs, Summit, and Speedway. Speedway being out of Omaha, I can have stuff within a day. Wish Summit had one of those stores here like they have in Reno that they did a Roadkill episode at.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #11
thotfulspot

I prefer to frequent locally owned shops if available. I don't have any in the small town I live, but we are only a couple hours from Pheonix. actually quite a few in a 4 hour range. Easy enough to make a day trip to anywhere in Arizona and the Vegas area. Also a overnight trip to California. I put up with shopping malls, and she puts up with truck parts stops.

I use the sponsors on this can also do Summit or Jegs if I can't find something.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
47 Fasttoys

I keep of 7 spreadsheets going on my build: Plan, Goals for finished truck, Notes, Progress in hours, Parts costs, Electrical and Other info. Yes, it's a little excessive. Then again it takes very little time to keep them updated and the info will be useful later. I would it guess it takes 5% of my build time working on records and on the net combined. For me having the goals and plan clear in writing help keep me focused. Now parts costs....well that's just scary.
Rob
Old 01-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
octanejunkie

I keep an interchange list of what parts I've used and what other vehicles they apply to so going to parts stores is easy.

I realized a while ago that each "major" system, like brakes, rear end, costs about $1,000 to upgrade, and some obviously cost more to replace, like engine or transmission - but if I had to honestly add up what I've put into my truck to date any accountant would say I was nuts.

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
whitedog76

I haven't ever really tried to keep track. I have the tendency to buy/sell and trade parts. Heck, I even bought a whole truck last year, I pulled the grill and fenders, sold the rest. So the "real" cost is sometimes a mystery.

Of course, there's the time spent at salvage yards, pastures, driving, etc... It all adds up.

Honestly, I'm not for sure that I would want to know what it all costs anyway.

Stacey David was selling a build diary awhile back. You could keep track of the parts and parts numbers you use, along with the cost. Seems like a good idea, especially if you're swapping drivetrains, etc...
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
thotfulspot

My goal is to keep track of the needed parts more than the cost. Since I'm not doing the build myself (damn wife), I need to make sure the shop gets all the parts they need at the right time. I'll probably keep track of cost just for the heck of it. I already know it's going to cost a small fortune.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Crumple that thing up and never show your wife. You will never finish that project. After she sees the price, she wont let you finish or maybe she will want the same amount that you are spending to buy shoes.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
starterman99

I have a file folder with all receipts in it for reference of part #s and where and when I purchased them. Also have a seperate file folder with all specification and instalation sheets that came with parts and paperwork from the machine shop that did motor machining work and balancing so I can reference if needed. Both folders are in the bottom drawer of a side box on my rollaway tool chest at my auto shop.The wife does not know that they exist and won't until I'm 6 feet under.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #18
thotfulspot

Having my wife know the cost doesn't bother me. She's paying for part of it and has a good idea of what it's going to cost anyway. She's the one insisting this time that a shop will be doing the work and how much that adds to the cost. I had a major accident 6 years ago and I can't deal with the heavy lifting. It was originally going to just be a driver, but she knows that isn't going to happen. It's pretty much all going to be new with the exception of the frame and cab. She's been bugging me for years to build a '57 truck. I had one before I was with her, and she wants a better one.

The agreement with the shop that is doing the build is I take care of ordering the parts and getting them to the shop. In the past we lived in major metropolitan areas where I could get parts easily in a short time period. Now we live in the mountains of northern Arizona, and it's going to sourcing whatever parts I can in the Phoenix or Las Vegas area. The list is more for me to keep track of the parts needed and where I'm getting them. I'll keep track of prices for insurance. I could just go to an auction or show in the area and buy one. That would be easiest, but I want to build it my way. Not someone else's ideas.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
Rude Dude

Most insurance don't care what or how much you got into the vehicle but more on the finished product appraised value similar to a motor cycle. Special insurance like Grundy also do the same. Add on's can be added at an extra price so build sheet are good to the builder for monies spent not so much for insurance purposes. Remember when you stick to much money into the project you may never recover what you actually have into it. It happens all the time just look at Ebay sales some are listed at 25 to 50K and always get reposted because the average guy can't raise the capital for a hobby purchase.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote