The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
Giantsniners72

New gauge's, all new problems.

Today it took my dash out to replace all the gauge's and all the bulbs. Im off by at lead 3mph on the speedo, my oil pressure gauge moves but constantly says very low. Also my Engine temp gauge go's right away hover HOT (old one almost always stayed in the perfect range) . Any suggestions? THANKS!
Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: New gauge's, all new problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsniners72 View Post
Today it took my dash out to replace all the gauge's and all the bulbs. Im off by at lead 3mph on the speedo, my oil pressure gauge moves but constantly says very low. Also my Engine temp gauge go's right away hover HOT (old one almost always stayed in the perfect range) . Any suggestions? THANKS!
Here are my suggestions to your problems.

You need to drive a measured mile of road such as a freeway and see if the odometer is correct. Do not worry about the speedometer yet. If you drive a measured road mile and the odometer is short or past one mile then your transmission speedometer gears need to be changed to correct that. If your odometer is dead on for one mile, then your speedometer is out of calibration.

I can repair and calibrate speedometers in my shop, if interested, or you can have a local speedometer shop do it for you.

I would check the oil pressure with a different gauge and see what result you get. You can get a aftermarket oil pressure gauge and hook it up and see what your oil pressure reads. Does the oil pressure gauge move with RPM changes?, it should if not.

Again, I can calibrate your oil pressure gauge, if needed, or I have factory replacements that I can offer

Temp gauge pegs to full hot? Try a ground wire off of the lower terminal on the gauge (in the middle) to a known good ground and see what happens. Once you remove the factory one way retainer, the gauge does not get a good ground through the tin like it should. Try it and that should fix that problem.

Let me know if you have other questions or need more help,

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:42 AM   #3
Jlo1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsniners72 View Post
What brand did you buy?
Jlo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
BKSS67

Why did you replace the gauges?

Are these factory gauges or aftermarket?
BKSS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Giantsniners72

I ordered them from LMC truck. old ones were fading and the fuel gauge stopped working so i just replaced all of them. i forgot to say that once i hooked the battery back up the temp went right over HOT and just stays there.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
BKSS67

Can you return the LMC Gauges?

If you can, I certainly would!

For about $200 you can get a RESTORED factory gauge cluster using original GM gauges and all properly calibrated from member TBONE1964, who replied earlier to this thread.

FYI, when gauges stop working, it's usually not the gauge. It is usually a wiring problem that wouldn't be fixed with new gauges.
BKSS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
Jlo1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSS67 View Post
Can you return the LMC Gauges?

If you can, I certainly would!

For about $200 you can get a RESTORED factory gauge cluster using original GM gauges and all properly calibrated from member TBONE1964, who replied earlier to this thread.

FYI, when gauges stop working, it's usually not the gauge. It is usually a wiring problem that wouldn't be fixed with new gauges.
Do you know anything about Dakota digital/analog gauges? I am looking to purchase them.
Jlo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
GMC-YA68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo1986 View Post
Do you know anything about Dakota digital/analog gauges? I am looking to purchase them.
Spend the money and get these if this is what you are interested in. Nobody is going to come in and sell a cheaper version of the "same thing" because it won't be the same. More power to LMC if they can make it happen in the long run but I'd expect nothing but guinea pigs for the time being.

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote