The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

How come they don't use washers on car bolts?

Lately I find myself needing to go to a hardware store to buy some bolts for my '74 truck, I don't like doing that cause they don't feel like car bolts, mostly at the moment I am getting grade 5 bolts, but something I have noticed is that many things/parts don't have washers on those bolts, why not?

please look at this pic for example borrowed from Alan Grove's website aka The Bracket Whisperer ~ LOL no washers on the pulley bolts, no washers on the alternator bracket bolts (well except for that one you adjust the belt with) no washers on the water pump bolts

anybody else notice stupid stuff like this or is it just me? jk
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: How come they don't use washers on car bolts?

Yes, I notice. Years ago, I used to take bolts out and put washers under all of them. Now, I find that is not really necessary, and in some cases, counterproductive. There is some "self locking" benefit to not using a washer under the head of a bolt, that's why GM never put washers on bellhousing or water pump bolts. So now I just put them under nuts.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
enaberif

Washers help spread a load over a small or large area. Most of the areas that don't have washer are areas that don't need to worry about load coverage like water pump bolts.

You can always lock tite certain bolts if you want or torque them down properly which will also lock in the bolts.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Bigstevex4

If your using the bin grade washers from hardware store they are realy soft and probably worse than none get at least grade five. As far as car companies its cost asembly time. Flanged bolts are the way to go but spendy.I was a heavey equipment field mecanic for 30 yrs. I had all the grade 8 hardware i wanted. man after i gave up that truck almost passed out when went to hard ware store bought a few bolts!
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
bnoon

Most washers are in place to prevent galling. If the hardness of the bolt is similar enough to the base metal, no washer is needed.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
MikeB

If you have a good hardware store or industrial supply store in your area, they will definitely have Grade 8 bolts, and sometimes flange bolts and nuts like this:

We are fortunate to have a local industrial supply store that sells just about any bolt you can imagine, including, for example, 3/8" bolts in 1/4" length increments, unlike hardware stores that only have 3", 3-1/2", 4", etc. Between that store and our locally-owned Elliot Hardware store, we can get just about any bolt, nut, and washer imaginable.

Another cool store is http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/index.html. They sell stainless and steel -AN washers by the box. These washers have a smaller OD for use in tight spaces, and for a cleaner look.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
bnoon

And don't forget about companies like Fastenal where you can order practically everything hardware related ever created (among other things).
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you have a good hardware store or industrial supply store in your area, they will definitely have Grade 8 bolts, and sometimes flange bolts and nuts like this:

We are fortunate to have a local industrial supply store that sells just about any bolt you can imagine, including, for example, 3/8" bolts in 1/4" length increments, unlike hardware stores that only have 3", 3-1/2", 4", etc. Between that store and our locally-owned Elliot Hardware store, we can get just about any bolt, nut, and washer imaginable.

Another cool store is http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/index.html. They sell stainless and steel -AN washers by the box. These washers have a smaller OD for use in tight spaces, and for a cleaner look.
What store? It's always nice to know the local sources
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #9
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
We have ACE Hardware it is better than Home Depot they do have grade 8 bolts but only flange metric bolts ~ that sucks
Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Just call me Sean

Lowes has a good selection of grade 8 and stainless bolts. Way better than Home Depot.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Lowes has a good selection of grade 8 and stainless bolts. Way better than Home Depot.
Thanks Bud, I did not even think of them, I will shoot over there today just to check it out, thanks again.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
greg64

Greg, about 10 years ago I had a lucky CL find; an old guy who lived on a farm had a 5 gallon pail of unsorted bolts for sale for $20. I bought them immediately when I noticed they were *all* grade 8 caterpillar diesel bolts. Over a hundred pounds for twenty bucks. I'm still using those bolts today.

I think you said you had a pull-your-part near you. It occurs to me that if they'd give you a good deal, I'd go in there for an afternoon and strip every good imperial bolt off a rust free rig. Buying new bolts is fine, but grade 8 stuff gets expensive in a hurry.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
78maliburat

Here in texas tractor supply bolts by the pound..............
78maliburat is offline   Reply With Quote