The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What antifreeze do you use in your original engine?

What are you comfortable using? I read:

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an "Extended Life" antifreeze, which utilizes Organic Additive Technology (OAT, H-OAT, or N-OAT) as one of its chemicals, ever be used in our cars over 10 years old. It attacks the gaskets and gasket cements in our cars, causing major leaks and forcing ultra-expensive repairs. The "Silver Ghost Association" Rolls Royce people have documented massive cooling system failures apparently caused by this anti-freeze product.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
davepl

Re: What antifreeze do you use in your original engine?

Do you have a link on that? I stick with old green non-diluted Prestone, but would like to learn more about the issue you're describing.

Cars over ten years old are 2005 models, so that's pretty recent. I don't think the gaskets have changed much since 2005, if at all. From 1970, you bet.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Do you have a link on that? I stick with old green non-diluted Prestone, but would like to learn more about the issue you're describing.

Cars over ten years old are 2005 models, so that's pretty recent. I don't think the gaskets have changed much since 2005, if at all. From 1970, you bet.
Not sure where I got it, but if you plug that into your browser you'll get some results.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
enaberif

I would be far more concerned about the issues with using ethanol based fuel in engines than antifreeze.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I would be far more concerned about the issues with using ethanol based fuel in engines than antifreeze.
I had the engine rebuilt in 1993. The guy supposedly updated things to accept unleaded, which I believe are the valve guides and seats.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
70cst

Here is a tread that might help

Prestone vs Peak vs Dexcool???
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=609659

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #7
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I had the engine rebuilt in 1993. The guy supposedly updated things to accept unleaded, which I believe are the valve guides and seats.
Unleaded != Ethanol

Ethanol is a alcohol based fuel and will dry out rubber and gaskets and can cause moisture build up in engines due to the ability of it attracting moisture.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #8
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
What are you comfortable using? I read:

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should an "Extended Life" antifreeze, which utilizes Organic Additive Technology (OAT, H-OAT, or N-OAT) as one of its chemicals, ever be used in our cars over 10 years old. It attacks the gaskets and gasket cements in our cars, causing major leaks and forcing ultra-expensive repairs. The "Silver Ghost Association" Rolls Royce people have documented massive cooling system failures apparently caused by this anti-freeze product.
All my own engines I have rebuilt I have removed all traces of the old antifreeze and installed dexcool. No problems for me. Don't know what additives it has but it seems easier on the aluminum in my systems.

That being said, there is no reason you can't run conventional antifreeze however I'd get the pre-diluted because it has distilled water in it or get the undiluted and use ONLY distilled water.

The biggest reason radiators and heater cores plug is the use of calcium/mineral rich tap water.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
GMC Canuck

OAT coolant is a new breed, different from the old red LL coolant. OAT coolant is purple is not compatible with other flavours. I was told it will gel if mixed. I just had to buy some for a '15 promaster, $78 / gallon is reason enough to stay clear.
GMC Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
dfrank

Whatever you do don't use the prestone mix with any Stuff. I got a gallon once and when I went to pour it out and it was clear. I tested it and it was about 90% plain water.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Unleaded != Ethanol

Ethanol is a alcohol based fuel and will dry out rubber and gaskets and can cause moisture build up in engines due to the ability of it attracting moisture.
Ethanol is a polar solvent so most of the issues involve phasing out of fuel when it absorbs water and the crud it kicks loose from old fuel systems.

The phase out reduces your octane because ethanol is used to buff up the octane. Once it phases out into a glob of alcohol and water it just waits to ruin your day. The only way to prevent this is to keep your tank full and burn the fuel up. There are no additives that make alcohol not absorb water so save your money. I use clear gas in anything that will sit more than a couple months.

The solvent properties aren't really a problem after everything is clean. I use E10 in my DD 72 and have no problems with hoses, etc. since the initial issues.

I won't even get into how much less power is in ethanol, why we mandate the burning of food or any of the other issues involved with this ridiculousness.

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Canuck View Post
OAT coolant is a new breed, different from the old red LL coolant. OAT coolant is purple is not compatible with other flavours. I was told it will gel if mixed. I just had to buy some for a '15 promaster, $78 / gallon is reason enough to stay clear.
Thanks for the good info, I will steer clear of it.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

First time I've flushed the system right. Ran it with "just water" for about 15 minutes. Then ran water through it for 5 minutes with the upper radiator hose off and tap water running into the radiator. All without a thermostat, and of course the heater running. Clean as a whistle.

I just use conventional antifreeze. Don't want to take a risk with these new formulas.