The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
thotfulspot

'57 bed depth with Porterbuilt dropmembers

I'm also going with a Porterbuilt air suspension. I don't have a box to measure the depth in. Almost every picture either has no bed, or the bed is mounted above the dropmember like the Heisenberg. Does anybody the stock depth of the bed is? Then the measurement with the floor moved up above the dropmember

My wife pretty much said hell no to the Heisenberg depth. I've kicked the idea of multi level bed for storage. I was thinking of dropping the floor in front of the Dropmember to the stock mounting, then mounting the bed from the dropmember back to the Heisenberg height which would allow some extra space to mount batteries and air components. I'm planning on putting a locking tonneau cover over the bed. My wife is fine with building another truck as long as we can use it for road trips and possibly towing a trailer.

Do really 2 measurments. Stock depth and the depth when the bed is raised above the crossmember.
thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: '57 bed depth with Porterbuilt dropmembers

I didn't know that he even built a setup for the rear but would imagine that on any bagged setup the amount you loose out of the bed floor is entirely related to how low you want to drop the truck if and when you air it out for that "hey look guys I broke my suspension and it fell on the ground ain't that cool" look.
And yes I think that is one of the silliest things car guys do right now in the name of being "one of the cool guys".

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #3
youngrodder

Re: '57 bed depth with Porterbuilt dropmembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotfulspot View Post
I'm also going with a Porterbuilt air suspension. I don't have a box to measure the depth in. Almost every picture either has no bed, or the bed is mounted above the dropmember like the Heisenberg. Does anybody the stock depth of the bed is? Then the measurement with the floor moved up above the dropmember

My wife pretty much said hell no to the Heisenberg depth. I've kicked the idea of multi level bed for storage. I was thinking of dropping the floor in front of the Dropmember to the stock mounting, then mounting the bed from the dropmember back to the Heisenberg height which would allow some extra space to mount batteries and air components. I'm planning on putting a locking tonneau cover over the bed. My wife is fine with building another truck as long as we can use it for road trips and possibly towing a trailer.

Do really 2 measurments. Stock depth and the depth when the bed is raised above the crossmember.
Not sure on how much bed floor space you would lose. I'm more familiar with the AD trucks. You could always build a notch cover and then at least you would have more storage space in the font and rear of the notch. Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I didn't know that he even built a setup for the rear but would imagine that on any bagged setup the amount you loose out of the bed floor is entirely related to how low you want to drop the truck if and when you air it out for that "hey look guys I broke my suspension and it fell on the ground ain't that cool" look.
And yes I think that is one of the silliest things car guys do right now in the name of being "one of the cool guys".
Well we can always count on Mr48chevy to put his foot in his mouth. I have ready many of your opinionated posts in the past. Since you offer nothing in the way of help for the posted question why not keep your opinion to yourself. And oh with your close-minded attitude you don't need to worry about being a cool guy anytime soon.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote