The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Tntruckguy

Help-Radiator Hoses for 1950 with 350

Ok truck guys and girls. I once again need some help this time on getting the plumbing done from the motor to the radiator. The radiator is a stock reproduction with an 1 1/4 OD outlet on top. The top of the 1980 350 is an 1 1/2 outlet. The bottom radiator outlet is 1 1/2 and the bottom motor outlet is 2". All measurements are OD. With out ordering cheap looking flex hoses, has anybody done the research on what stock hoses will work for this application. My top hoses measurements are: Rise=12" & Run=10 1/2". The bottom hoses measurements 7" to the back of the 90 degree and 8" run to the inlet on the radiator.

Any advise or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

TNTRUCKGUY
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Help-Radiator Hoses for 1950 with 350

The only thing that I can think of is making a template of the shape with something like a coat hanger. Take that to a well supplied parts store and then finding a hose with a similar shape. You might have to trim a little off one end or the other, but other than that, it should work for you.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Tntruckguy

Here is a pic of the other side where the bottom hose is.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Tntruckguy

Ya the guy at my local hot rod shop mentioned the same thing. The old coat hanger trick. I was kinda thinking someone had already done that and had their results written down or committed to memory!lol
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
jbarron

Saved this from another thread on this site or Stovebolt:
NAPA hose numbers: Gotta thank Orrie for the hose numbers. Top-napa 7240 lower 7438. Both will have to be trimmed slightly.
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Tntruckguy

awesome, I will check that out today at my local Napa. Thanks, jbarron and thanks to Orrie!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Tntruckguy

OK I got the top hose, the bottom hose I will pick up today but all looks good and with a little trimming Im all good. Thanks to those that commented!

I have been reading that it seems to be a good idea to mount a flex a lite right to the water pump and do with out clutch set up or a fancy electric fan set up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tntruckguy
Old 02-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Rickysnickers

Considering the amount of room you have, judging by the photo, I'd go with an electric fan.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Tntruckguy

Ya it looks like a lot of room but it is really only 3 inches from the Radiator to the bolts on the WP. I already have a shorty WP on the motor. I have read that a fan mounted with out a clutch improves the temp at idle.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Rude Dude

To help take the guess work out of finding a hose I go to local hardware store and buy some ventilation duct tubing it comes in different sizes and forms real easy and cheap. Then after making a pattern for radiator hose using the duct work, I then go to the local auto parts house and use the pattern I made out of duct work to select the correct bend or shape in a radiator hose. Hope this makes sense!
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Tntruckguy

Great Idea! Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
To help take the guess work out of finding a hose I go to local hardware store and buy some ventilation duct tubing it comes in different sizes and forms real easy and cheap. Then after making a pattern for radiator hose using the duct work, I then go to the local auto parts house and use the pattern I made out of duct work to select the correct bend or shape in a radiator hose. Hope this makes sense!
Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Considering the amount of room you have, judging by the photo, I'd go with an electric fan.
Looking at your pics, a single 16" e-fan would have to be mounted higher than the WP snout, 3" is not enough room in my experience. I moved my engine and trans rearward about 2" to fit an e-fan, centered on my radiator, but I'm using a universal radiator, not the stock one...

I moved away from the stock radiator to on my 59 to maximize core space, and reduce radiator thickness, since the OE radiator is tall and narrow, and it's brackets take up potential cooling space. My Summit alu radiator core now fills the entire hole in the core support and I made saddle brackets for the bottom and a simple L bracket at the top that bolts to the hood latch panel.

As you can see the fan motor and WP pulley are pretty close

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside

Last edited by octanejunkie; 02-02-2015 at 02:32 PM.
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #13
Tntruckguy

Looks like I need to consider an electric fan to get the most air thru the radiator! So pusher or puller?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tntruckguy View Post
Looks like I need to consider an electric fan to get the most air thru the radiator! So pusher or puller?
Puller.

And if you use an electro-fan use a thermostatic relay to power the fan like this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30102

I picked up an adjustable temp relay, made by Hayden IIRC, the Painless one is fixed on/off temp which can be ok if it's reading in an accurate stop (top of intake manifold coolant crossover)

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Tntruckguy

My stock radiator is 18X20. I have a comfortable 2 5/8 clearance to my WP pulley. Any recommendations on a slim line fan w/shroud out there? Or can you install on front of radiator and swap the wires and blades to rotate the other way. I have seen a lot of these trucks with E-fans and they all clear by a fraction of an inch. Should I also take into consideration of where the Trans cooler will go or are the frame mounted coolers worth anything?

Thanks to all who post on this site and have answered a lot of my questions. This build is my first AD truck from the ground up...It will probably be my last, just sayin! It is fun to learning from all you experts out there!

Thanks for any reply's!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tntruckguy View Post
My stock radiator is 18X20. I have a comfortable 2 5/8 clearance to my WP pulley. Any recommendations on a slim line fan w/shroud out there? Or can you install on front of radiator and swap the wires and blades to rotate the other way. I have seen a lot of these trucks with E-fans and they all clear by a fraction of an inch. Should I also take into consideration of where the Trans cooler will go or are the frame mounted coolers worth anything?

Thanks to all who post on this site and have answered a lot of my questions. This build is my first AD truck from the ground up...It will probably be my last, just sayin! It is fun to learning from all you experts out there!

Thanks for any reply's!
Another reason I swapped radiators from OE, I needed a trans cooler.

I just posted a thread about this for my friend's build, he had a totally passive trans cooler and his transmission was running super hot - the most recommended setup was "trans cooler in radiator THEN aux cooler"

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside