The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
Richs'55

C10 frame (3rd gen. 73-87) ? about headers and steering column clearance.

I am moving the '55 cab over to a 1981 shortbox frame I have. The engine in the '81 is a 305 from 1978 (that's another story all together). I want to install some shorty headers but I am concerned about the clearance of the automatic shifter on the column hitting the headers.

What I am looking for is anybody that has done a cab swap on a C10 frame with a V8.

Did you have any issues with the automatic column shifter clearance on the stock manifolds compared to headers(of any lenght)?

Also any clearance issues with the steering shaft and how you got around the problem?
Richs'55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
octanejunkie

Re: C10 frame (3rd gen. 73-87) ? about headers and steering column clearance.

I didn't do a frame swap, but I did shorten a GM tilt column to avoid interference with my exhaust primarily. I went with rams horns to ultimately clear the steering gear.

My shifter arm is about 3.4" from the firewall

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Richs'55

Thanks octane. How did you shorten the shift arm so it is so close to the firewall? That is what i was told would be a problem, as the shift arm will hit the exhaust manifold. Is your steering column in the original place of the '55-59 position as it comes through the firewall?

I have been told that a steering column from a 1990 caprice or s-10 will fit like yours is (closer to the firewall).

Also, my steering box on the C10 frame is on the outside of the frame up from of the engine, so that should be a good thing. More room to make that connection and not hit the headers/manifolds.

Also, one more thing. Is that a wine cork in your valve cover breather hole?
Richs'55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
octanejunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs'55 View Post
Thanks octane. How did you shorten the shift arm so it is so close to the firewall? That is what i was told would be a problem, as the shift arm will hit the exhaust manifold. Is your steering column in the original place of the '55-59 position as it comes through the firewall?
The column in the picture is a non-keyed tilt column from a mid 80s Chevy van. The end sticking out of the firewall in the picture is the stock bottom/shifter; I had it shortened to about 30" IIRC taking excess length out of the middle. I am utilizing the OE drop and floorplate keeping my column in the stock location.

Quote:
I have been told that a steering column from a 1990 caprice or s-10 will fit like yours is (closer to the firewall).
I couldn't tell you but I think most of the columns from the early 90s up are keyed, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Also, one more thing. Is that a wine cork in your valve cover breather hole?
Why yes, yes it is

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote