The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #26
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Re: A bit overwhelmed. Any advice?

I'll second the running/driving rule. I've bought plenty of projects and flipped them after I realized how deep I'd got in...

I scored big-time on my current truck: $1900 for a '74 GMC with 90K original and a raft of receipts to prove it.

I still wound up putting in an HEI, plugs, wires, radiator, waterpump, hoses, carb-rebuild, new side-covers, new gaskets, fuel-pump, tires, and totally desmogging it. I still need to do front brakes, rear main seal (and since I'm in there, clutch-job), u-joints, and front brakes.

My body is in great shape, but I'll need a two new inner-fenders and driver's side outer, as well as a some small ding and dent repairs, new hinges for the driver's side, and then paint...

One thing at a time though. Make it stop first. Safety above all else. Then make it start.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #27
greg64

I really like MikeB's comment. Don't try to take on everything at once. And rust, smust! Yes fixing rust is time consuming and expensive. My 77 was mostly rust at one point. But, as long as the chassis and suspension isn't Swiss cheese, you can still drive it. You'll learn a lot working on the truck anyway, and if one day it's mechanically perfect, then start looking for donor sheet metal (that's not rusty) to replace your original stuff. I'd also figure out a budget for how much you want to sink into this. It will allow you to eliminate a bunch of jobs as "outside the budget" which might help with the overwhelmed feeling.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
Mayhem.Evol

Came back to so many replies! This is why I've been lurking this forum for 6 years now, you guys are absolutely awesome.

I appreciate all the advice. I'm just taking some time and thinking about what I want. I have very little money into my truck, picked it up for next to nothing and I had fun and learned alot rebuilding the carb and putting new headgaskets on and whatnot.

I looked at a 79 shortbed stepside today and ended up walking away(after a 3.5hr drive one way haha) because I just wasn't as excited about it as I thought i would be even though it was waaayy nicer than mine. It probably sounds dumb, but I have some weird attachment to that 80 lwb I have. It's the first vehicle I ever bought myself.. I had such a good time working on it with my brother in law. I really want to have it specifically for some reason, but I know I'm in for a lot of work. I just want to make the right decision for me and all of you have helped a lot.

I'll continue to weigh it all in my mind and try to make a decision on what to do. I just want to think long and hard about it before I jump the gun and dump money into a different truck or mine and regret the decision.

Edit: I do realize I'm all over the place with my thoughts currently, so I'll ask you all to please forgive me.

Last edited by Mayhem.Evol; 02-02-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Mayhem.Evol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #29
andrewmp6

Being its your first truck and your brother in law helping id keep it.If you sell it it will be nothing but memories and you will wish you didn't years later.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #30
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Sentimentality is a strong motivator!

I once had a '57 Willys pickup with a Buick V8, 205 t-case, 4-speed, one-ton running gear, and 35" tires.

It went anywhere you pointed it, though it needed alot of work: Brakes, steering-box, carb, a wiper assembly, tires (it had welded spiders), a new exhaust (it had headers where the inner fenders should've been and little else), as well as things like door-latches (I used bungee cords), a new rear window, a tailgate, etc, etc, etc...

I sold it for $1000 in 1996, so I could move.

I have a photo of it on my fridge right now, and I search for it on CL all the time. I regret selling it everytime I walk into my kitchen.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #31
andrewmp6

Yeah or you see adds on craigslist here and there of people trying to find their old car or truck.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:38 AM   #32
Mayhem.Evol

So I've decided to go ahead and put the front clip back on and hook everything back up then go with the advice given in this thread and make it whole then get it as drivable as possible and repair one system at a time.

I haven't had a chance this week to get outside with it (maybe the weather will clear up some). But when I do I plan on making a list of things I will need to get the front clip back on and everything hooked back up. But here's some thoughts I'm having so far..

The power steering hasn't worked in the truck since I got it, it seems like a good idea to repair/replace whatever I need to before putting the fender back on because that stuff is pretty low down there. Only problem is I won't be able to see if it's actually working, any thoughts?

On to things I think I'll need.

I found a mounting kit on lmc for the radiator support, is there a better place to buy this?

Is there any place I can buy new hardware for the fenders/inner fenders? I tried looking around online but didn't come up with anything

Battery tray. Mine was 95% rust so I tore it out. Should I consider relocating the battery? If so where to? or just buy a new tray? (Assuming I can find one, I haven't looked)

Hoses! I'm going to need new hoses for everything. I can't think of them all off the top of my head but I know I have pics of all the ones I removed when I took it apart. I'm assuming most of these can just be picked up at an auto parts store correct?

like I said I'll try to make a more complete list when I have my pictures and the truck in front of me but anything at all yall think I should consider or know I need please tell me!

hopefully this all came out right, on my phone and its hard to go back and review formatting.
Mayhem.Evol is offline   Reply With Quote