The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
lowroder

Chassis Engineering MII Bolt In Kit

Hello...
Has Anyone Used This Kit From Chassis Engineering?
Im Thinking Of Using It Since I Probably Cant Afford Airride..
Id Like To Get As Low As Possible.
Im Building A 51 GMC LWB
If You Have Used This Kit Or Have Pics Of Your Stance Love To Hear Back Thanks John
Attached Images

lowroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
shrek55

Re: Chassis Engineering MII Bolt In Kit

I used a Speedway kit-- tubular lower arms w/no strut rod that tires can rub on in tight turns
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
mr48chev

I saw that setup on the R & B chevy truck parts demo chassis way back when they were one of the big truck goodie vendors. Very simple and straightforward and any guy with a tape measure, 1/2inch electric drill and a hand full of wrenches can install it quite easily.

Some guys don't like the because they aren't "show truck slick" and others are afraid of a bolt in crossmember but forget that every Chevy and GMC full size truck front crossmember from 1960 on is bolted in at the factory with no issues.

I'm not a big fan of bags because I prefer a rig to run at one static ride height all the time and think the "hey look I broke my truck" laying on the ground thing is rather lame. With lowering coils or dropped spindles you can get one of these lower than the law allows real easy anyhow. Stock suspension pieces or Tube
A arms depend on what your budget allows but buy good quality A arms from one of the well respected manufactures if you go that way. some of the cheap ones you see on Ebay are pretty suspect and use low rent ball joints that give problems. If you compare parts numbers on a Stock MII suspension against other Ford products you soon discover that the upper ball joints that everyone claim are weak are the same exact ball joint that are on Lincoln Mark IV and many other big Ford products and the lowers are overbuilt. Outer wheel bearings are the same as most every rear wheel drive Ford between 1970 and 1980 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0055&ppt=C0337 including F 250 trucks.
You could even put it together with stock spindles out of a wrecking yard (if you can find them0 and swap for dropped spindles later if it isn't low enough and maybe not have to spend the money for dropped spindles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
lowroder

Mr48Chev....
Id Be Adding The Chassis Engineering Hub to Hub Kit With This Kit If I Went With It ...
Id Purchase It As A Whole..
They Offer Drop Spindles If I Wanna Get Lower. From What I Was Told From There Email.
Not Worried About Bolts Cause I Could Get It Tack Welded In Spots To Give Extra Safety If Need be. The Shop Im My Area Wants $8500 To Do Front An Back Set Up With Air Ride. An I Don't Have That In My Budget. So I Fiqured This Kit With Drop Leafs An Blocks Out Back.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
lowroder

Shrek55... They Told Me That If I Went With Drop Spindles I Might Rub On Turns....
I Guess Depends On Turn Radius .....I Wanna Run 670-15 WW
Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
joedoh

if you are wanting airbags, mustang II IFS can be a bit finicky on bag size and placement. you wont need a lot of lift to drive, but you may want more lift than you can get for larger front tires. the problem is the height of the mustang II spindle, its relatively short, so that means you need the airbag mounted as low as possible in the lower arm so that you can get the maximum amount of lift before the upper ball joint touches (and by contact, ruins) the airbag. but mounting them so low makes it more likely to contact the frame when aired out.

those lowers in the hub to hub kit look to be set up for springs, so, my guess is you will have a lot of modification to get an airbag in the right spot. a bolt in kit for airbags on that suspension may not meet your expectations for drop or ride height.

8500 doesnt sound outrageous for a no-owner-touch IFS and complete air ride setup. people who try to do things the least expensive way they can often find their destiny on the road they take to avoid it, which means you may end up spending that much or more to redo it when it doesnt work out the way you want. Other guys here have actually done this work and can chime in.

I admire you want to do the work yourself though, beware of the trap of "getting around to it", lots of well intentioned hot rodders have forever projects still kicking around because they just never got a "round tuit".

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
lowroder

joedoh...
The hub to hub kit is springs not bags...
chassis engineering only offers bolt in kits with springs with option of drop spindles.
so if I do it myself ill go with this set up...
the only reason id have someone help is the fabrication end of it... don't have the equip anymore... an my son races every single weekend starting april.. so my weekends are full for 23 wks straight.. I let my project sit since I bought this last summer. An I wanted to work on it this year for sure.. I Had To sell My Rod I Had In A Divorce So Now Im Starting Over Again...Building A Rod That Is LOL....
Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
shrek55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowroder View Post
Shrek55... They Told Me That If I Went With Drop Spindles I Might Rub On Turns....
I Guess Depends On Turn Radius .....I Wanna Run 670-15 WW
Rub the fenders probably-- but I'd be more concerned with the strut rods that Chassis Engineering uses-- rubbing the inside of the tires on tight turns. I have my truck pretty low-- the cool thing about the Speedway kit is the upper spring mount is threaded so you can adjust the ride height about up to 2 inches. I also have their triangulated four link with a nine inch F*** rear in the back with their disc brake kit. I actually will have to raise my front ride height to get into driveways and I did not use the lowered knuckles
shrek55 is offline   Reply With Quote