The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
joe dirt

rear blinker problems 61 c10

since ive had this truck its had blinker problems,..so I havnt been bothering using them,..anyways,..front blinkers work as they should,...rear pass side no blinker,..rear drivers side will blink but also makes the passenger side blink as well when its on...I don't think its the switch at the bottom of the colum due to fronts working as should...I don't think its ground as the passenger side shows life when drivers side is switched on....any ideas?
joe dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: rear blinker problems 61 c10

It's definitely a ground problem. Make sure the light housings are grounded to the bed and run a 12 gauge wire from the frame to the bed, make sure all surfaces where you are grounding to are scraped clean to the bare metal and use dielectric grease on the bare surfaces. When both lights blink at the same time is what happens with a poor ground, one light uses the other light circuit as a ground.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
joe dirt

you know when I think about it I couldn't get my test light to work when clipped to bare spots on the frame,..i had to clip it to my tailgate to get it to work,..ill run a ground to the frame tonight and see if that helps any
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
willyp

had the same problem... had me scratching my head for a couple months..
I grounded the housing to the frame.. still had the problem on occasion.

my conclusion.....the housing has 2 metals that where pressed together (housing and bulb socket) maybe corrosion got inside there over the past 49 years... so ran my ground wires directly to the metal part of the bulb and never had that problem again.. good luck.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.

I could't get mine to work either, and my truck is new for all practical purposes.
All new components & media blasted & painted...Soldered a ground wire to the tail light housings and all works perfectly!
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
joe dirt

Ok ran new dedicated ground and still doing the same thing....i do have running lights and brake lights...i dont believe its the cable switch on the column because its doing its job interrupting the signal for the front pass blinker right?...the purple wire is flashing my test light like it should at the switch...im stumped
Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
Paul Y

Check out my thread where I ad a similar problem.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658746

Look at post 18 from Fleetside Larry, his trouble shooting guide helped me identify the problem as the turn signal switch.

Good luck, I hate Electrics!

P,
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
luvbowties

Smile Re: rear blinker problems 61 c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe dirt View Post
Ok ran new dedicated ground and still doing the same thing....i do have running lights and brake lights...i dont believe its the cable switch on the column because its doing its job interrupting the signal for the front pass blinker right?...the purple wire is flashing my test light like it should at the switch...im stumped
Check to see if previous owner ran a wire, at rear, connecting rear brake lights together--seen it done where he could only get 1 brake light to burn.
HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
joe dirt

Ok...found what may be the problem...in the diagram number 19 is purple on my truck...looks like the wiring from the back of the cab has been replaced and the left out the purple wire...tested and it flashing....where should i extend that purple wire?...in the diagram it disapears right before the drivers side tail light...
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 AM   #10
luvbowties

Smile Re: rear blinker problems 61 c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe dirt View Post
Ok...found what may be the problem...in the diagram number 19 is purple on my truck...looks like the wiring from the back of the cab has been replaced and the left out the purple wire...tested and it flashing....where should i extend that purple wire?...in the diagram it disapears right before the drivers side tail light...
Looks like you have nailed your problem. Sound like driver's side is ok--just that pass side has been directly-linked to it. I'd try cutting the wire connecting the 2 & going to pass side--which looks to be 18A--& run the blinking purple wire to remaining portion of 18A going to the pass side.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
joe dirt

Yup...that was it!...blinkers are now working like they should....this turned out to be a rare occasion where it wasn't a ground problem.....lol....thx for the help guys