The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
liftlawssuck

Door Jamb Switch

I just installed a new door jamb switch and the door doesn't close all the way. The door bottoms the switch out before closing all the way. The distance between the face of the hex portion of the nut and the tip of the plunger is too long. Anyone run into this before? I need to go look at some trucks behind my friends farm and see what they have for switches but we're in a snowstorm right now. The truck never had switches in it so I can't compare the old ones. Any thoughts? Thanks
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
walkerb

Re: Door Jamb Switch

Where did you get the jamb switches? I replaced my with the lmc switches and they looked and acted the same as the bent gm one, but just not bent. Haha
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

I believe the ones from most part stores are two long I used it but it dented the door where the switch makes contact
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
liftlawssuck

I got it from Classic Industries. The truck never had switches so I don't know what the old ones looked like. I looked at some others and they look the same as what I have. I really don't want to dent the doors either. Hopefully someone has a good fix.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Most of these switches are self-adjusting. The tube surrounding the plunger is a tight slip-fit inside the hole in the center of the hex nut portion ... it is supposed to slide in to the correct length the first time you close the door.

The trouble is, some of the replacement switches fit together so tight that they'll dent the door before they slide in to adjust. And some switches look the same but aren't constructed with the self adjusting design.

You can try taping a chunk of thicker sheetmetal to the contact area of the door to help reduce the chances of making a dent when adjusting the switch. Or you can pre-adjust the switch by carefully squeezing it in a vice until the length matches that of the old switch. Use a piece of tubing or deep well socket as a spacer for the switch body to fit into. Without an old switch to use as a length reference, you'll just have to make small adjustments and repeated test fits.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
liftlawssuck

Yes this is great info. I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for the detailed response!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
liftlawssuck

Ok so I got the switches adjusted to right height and door closes without hitting. That was a great piece of info. Now I can't tighten up the switch in jamb. Not enough material to grab good when tightening. Any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
C.W

Following, as I have the same issue.
98 Cheyenne Ext cab short box 2wd. Driver and maybe future project.
C.W is offline   Reply With Quote