The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Tom Tarlazzi

brake booster

I have done a disc brake upgrade to the front of my 64 c10 s.b.s.s, and am planning to use a 80' booster and m.c. to complete the setup. My research tells me it will bolt up. my question is, will it?If not then what year booster will bolt up. I will be using rebuilt parts, so I can order what I need. This is my first post! Thanks.

Last edited by Tom Tarlazzi; 01-27-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: more info
Tom Tarlazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
southern parts

Re: brake booster

Check with board member Captainfab.
southern parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The '73-'87 truck brake boosters will require holes to be drilled into your firewall. Additionally that booster does not provide the same amount of support between the booster/master cylinder and the pedal assembly under the dash. My booster brackets use the factory mounting holes and securely attaches the booster and master cylinder to the pedal assembly. There is a link to the for sale thread for my booster bracket as well as most of my other products in my signature line \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tarlazzi View Post
I have done a disc brake upgrade to the front of my 64 c10 s.b.s.s, and am planning to use a 80' booster and m.c. to complete the setup. My research tells me it will bolt up. my question is, will it?If not then what year booster will bolt up. I will be using rebuilt parts, so I can order what I need. This is my first post! Thanks.
Thank you for the recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern parts View Post
Check with board member Captainfab.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
donthekawguy

I used a 71 Impala booster and MC. I like the look of the metal MC and needed a booster anyway. Also used the Captainfab bracket.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thank you Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
I used a 71 Impala booster and MC. I like the look of the metal MC and needed a booster anyway. Also used the Captainfab bracket.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
koolkat269

I just purchased an 86 rolling chassis today with the power booster today. This bracket will work on my 64 firewall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The '73-'87 truck brake boosters will require holes to be drilled into your firewall. Additionally that booster does not provide the same amount of support between the booster/master cylinder and the pedal assembly under the dash. My booster brackets use the factory mounting holes and securely attaches the booster and master cylinder to the pedal assembly. There is a link to the for sale thread for my booster bracket as well as most of my other products in my signature line \/ \/ \/

Thank you for the recommendation
koolkat269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

No the '73-'87 brake boosters are not compatible with my brake booster brackets. You will have to drill holes to bolt up that brake booster. I don't know if that will provide enough support between the pedal bracket under the dash and the booster and master cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat269 View Post
I just purchased an 86 rolling chassis today with the power booster today. This bracket will work on my 64 firewall?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
koolkat269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
No the '73-'87 brake boosters are not compatible with my brake booster brackets. You will have to drill holes to bolt up that brake booster. I don't know if that will provide enough support between the pedal bracket under the dash and the booster and master cylinder.
Would it be because the 86 booster bracket is longer?
koolkat269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Chevy Fleetside

I put a 79 brake booster in my truck back in 2002. I ran the truck for over 4 years. I did drill the lower holes but never put any upper bolts in and it has been working just fine. The only thing is you have to modify the brake pedal rod. It needs to be extended. I also used the 65 pedal rod so it is adjustable. One other problem is if the booster ever dies this process will need to be done again. I think sometime in the future I will try and get the upper holes to be fuctional. I barely press on the brakes now to get the thing stopped. It would probably be easier to go with the aftermarket booster and Capt's bracket.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is because the '73-'87 truck brake boosters have the mounting brackets riveted to the booster. The boosters that are compatible with my booster brackets have only mounting studs that are on a 3-3/8" x 3-1/2" center to center pattern. This is all stated in the for sale thread in post #1 and a complete listing of compatible boosters is in post #183 on page 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat269 View Post
Would it be because the 86 booster bracket is longer?