The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
Hendo67

Sanden SD 7 mount option

I was struggling with where to mount my A/C compressor. I'm going to use a vintage air system, so I will need to use a Sanden compressor. There are all kinds of mounts out there for this application, but I really don't like the accessories to be high and wide. I prefer everything to be tucked in nice and tight. Spending 2k+ on a drive system was out of the question as well.
Here is what I came up with. I got the water pump for a 2010-13 Camaro. These use the truck spacing, so it lines up with the other accessories with no shims. I was thinking I might be able to utilize the tensioner mount as the base for the compressor mount.
I confirmed that if I used 3/16 aluminum plate to make the brackets, the compressor would line up perfectly using the stock tensioner mount. The only mod I had to do to the water pump was to "machine" the back of the tensioner mount so that my bracket plates would have the correct spacing. I used a router (yes, one for wood) to mill the back of the mount. As long as you lubricate between passes and don't get aggressive, the router works great. I used the aluminum plate to square up with the back of the pump, and as a guide for the router.
Everything lines up perfectly, but I was not able to use this first style of mount. the compressor was actually too low, and I didn't have room to add a tensioner.
See the next post for the updated pix.
Attached Images

Hendo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
Hendo67

Re: Sanden SD 7 mount option

In this iteration, I raised the compressor up a few inches and rotated it level. I also moved it in towards the center line about 3/4".
I had a heck of a time finding a tensioner that would work. I'm sure the guys at O'riley's and Napa were pretty tired of me buying and returning a bunch of tensioners plus all the ones I had them pull out only to find they went the wrong way or were just too far off.
I also wanted to add some thicker material for the tensioner to mount on which ended up being 1/2" aluminum. This gave me the proper spacing with the tensioner, and I felt it was strong enough. I also positioned the tensioner so that the mounting bolt would extend through all the brackets and into the head for added support.
The tensioner ended up being off of a diesel pickup, but I like the look and it is pretty beefy. I also made my own power steering bracket (more of a block really) and went with an eBay alternator mount. This leaves a hole where the original AC compressor was mounted, which may make way for a single turbo later on.
I've got about $700 into my accessory drive and that includes a new compressor, alternator, water pump, tensioner, belt and power steering pump.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
bigmac73

brother do us a favor, looks like a work of art in progress, but put some paint or powder coat on that crank pulley, sticks out like a third eye
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Hendo67

I know on the crank pulley. It's getting replaced after mock up is done. I should throw some paint on it out of self respect though.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
bigmac73

Lol
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
69trk

can you make me one of these ac mounts? im doing a single turbo too

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81

Last edited by 69trk; 02-12-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: mispell
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
motorcritter

This is a very nice set-up. The '71 Cheyenne is going to get LSx'd, so this sort of info is pertinent. No hurry, though, the '69 GMC is up next.