The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
Slammed84

84 C10 fuse box problems

My 84 has been down for a couple years, luckily I have a garage to park in. Started a 496 build for it but have run out of money for now. My problem is when I tried to start the donor 350 I put in for the time being, I got nothing. After a bnch of wire chasing, I concluded that I wasn't getting power from the fuse block to the ignition switch.

By simply jumping a keyed source from block to ignition switch solved the problem but I really would like to fix the problem instead of having a jumper wire installed. The factory harness is perfect, never been messed with at all.

Im just confused because when it was first parked it would start with the key no problem. Im guessing corrosion?

Anyone had any similar issues/fixes?

Im dreading having to replace the fuse box for one stinkin wire, I wish it would've been something alot less important.
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 84 C10 fuse box problems

Check the neutral safety switch. Should be near the firewall on the bottom of the steering column.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Slammed84

Thanks for the advice geezer. I actually have never had the NSS hooked up. I use the pigtail connection as a killswitch. I made a little jumper wire that has to be plugged in for the truck to start. Tested through the pigtail with no problems. I used to pull the wire every tim I parked it and would attach it to my keys.

Good start though
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Slammed84

so does anybody know which connection on the ignition switch i would jump to from the fuse box?

I did it a few months ago but now I can't remember which wire it is, I am assuming the heavier gauge red one?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Slammed84

all i have is one of these crappy Haynes manuals and they are pretty vague
Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Slammed84

So I'm digging up a dead thread I started. Yeah its been about a year now and still having the same problem.
Today I rolled the truck out and washed the dog hair and about a 1/2 inch of dust off of her. Hooked up the battery out of my other truck, turned the key and it turned over with no problems.
Fast forward a couple minutes of cranking to get gas back to the carb and she fired right up! I let it run for about 30 seconds and killed it.
Tried it again and NOTHING!!! Its pretty frustrating....

So heres the deal....

From battery to big lug on starter I have power...
From starter through the engine harness to the firewall connection box I have power...
Inside the cab at the fuse box.... NOTHING
Cant get any fuse terminals to light a test light, even the ones that are constantly hot

So obviously my problem is the connection from the engine bay to the actual fuse box, I cleaned them up with contact cleaner, wire brush, blew them out with air, tightened them up real tight, and still NOTHING

The only way I can get it to start is to run a hot jumper from the battery into the cab of the truck and plug it in the ignition switch, and it will start everytime

Somebody please help
Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
enaberif

Check all your fusible links up at the junction block. If one is bad you may run into problems. You could also have corrosion inside the fuse block at the bulkhead.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 AM   #8
Slammed84

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Check all your fusible links up at the junction block. If one is bad you may run into problems. You could also have corrosion inside the fuse block at the bulkhead.
Well the links were fine..... but you got me thinking.....

When I dropped the motor in and wired it up, I forgot to run the wire from the battery to the junction box, which sends power to the alternator and through the fuse box to power the ignition switch.

I feel so stupid! I way over thought this one. Now I gotta spend tomorrow putting everything back together..

thanks for the idea enaberif