The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
70'

Little disappointed with the Skyjacker spring coating

I recently received my lift from skyjacker, I am disappointed with a few things. First, is the fact that they don't ship the springs in any type of packaging. They simply zip tied a UPS label to each spring and shipped it that way, so as you might image by the time I received them, they looked like they had been dragged behind s truck for 4000 miles, and the paint is all scratched up. Now, before you start busting my balls about it being for a truck, please understand that I have completely stripped my truck to the frame and am doing a restore on it which be between a show truck and a very infrequent driver when finished. I have heard that you don't want to sandblast springs because it can cause heat distortion. Is that true? The springs are definitely going to need to be recoated, but I don't want to ruin a brand new $1600 lift kit trying to fix the paint. Really a shame that a guy has to repaint a brand new set of springs. Thanks for any suggestions.
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
sduckworth13

Re: Little disappointed with the Skyjacker spring coating

I'd be a frustrated customer too. Who knows...they could have sent you springs that someone used, but returned them for a taller set?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
EARNHARDT#3

Back when I was into jeeps I learned early on that skyjacker is junk. I'd send it all back and buy something good.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Never bought Skyjacker stuff but I've received springs that way many times. The only thing that bothered me was stickum from the stickers. I just paint them. They aren't selling them as bolt-on restoration parts. If you want them that nice it's up to you. The paint is not that nice to begin with on springs. You might as well figure on repainting the shocks too, because the paint used on those doesn't hold up well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
leftybass209

I can understand the frustration, but regardless of how they're shipped someone won't be happy. If they packaged them they'd be too expensive to ship, if they painted them someone would want them powdercoated. Companies usually continue doing what's most cost effective. I always read reviews before I order stuff and chalk it up to experience when things like this happen. Telling us is great and informative, but I hope you gave them a call first if you're bothered by it.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:41 AM   #6
jeffahart

Regardless of the paint and scratches; I would rethink the CRAPJackers... there, I said it. I have them, I think they're junk! No, I have them and I know they are junk. You can call them, I call mine everytime I look at them... yes... I call them CRAP...jackers! I think you can put the 1600 to better use.