The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
hotcorner216

3rd times a charm...67-72 DD

So Im new to the forum but not to c10, ive owned 2 in the past but life got in th way and had to get rid ofboth...now that im passed that im really wanting a 67-72 short bed To make my DD...iv been looking for a decent one in my area but all are 8k+, ive found some decent LWB for around 2~3k, ive done reading on the forum see getting it shortened would be more cost effective, as far as strengthg goes, if i want to turn it into a 500hp canyon carver in a few years, is it safe/smart to do? After shortening the bed 5.3l w/ 4l60e would probably be next....but ill save that for a later time...any advice
/input appreciated...

Lastly, anyone know someone reputable in the so cal/IE/ OC area who does good work and fair priced? Thanks
hotcorner216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
cooperhw

Re: 3rd times a charm...67-72 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcorner216 View Post
So Im new to the forum but not to c10, ive owned 2 in the past but life got in th way and had to get rid ofboth...now that im passed that im really wanting a 67-72 short bed To make my DD...iv been looking for a decent one in my area but all are 8k+, ive found some decent LWB for around 2~3k, ive done reading on the forum see getting it shortened would be more cost effective, as far as strengthg goes, if i want to turn it into a 500hp canyon carver in a few years, is it safe/smart to do? After shortening the bed 5.3l w/ 4l60e would probably be next....but ill save that for a later time...any advice
/input appreciated...

Lastly, anyone know someone reputable in the so cal/IE/ OC area who does good work and fair priced? Thanks
I've done a few shortening jobs over the years. Done correctly I would not give it a second thought about doing anything you want. The area where the splice takes place will become the strongest point (also heaviest) of the C channel frame. Much cheaper to buy a long bed and shorten it. Takes me a full day once the cab, bed, and front clip are off.
When a Heavy Wrecker company wants a new truck but to re-use the entire bed/tow portion they order a "Glider" from the manufacturer of their choosing. It comes with a complete truck from the front bumper to the back of the sleeper, and two frame rails sticking out. they then cut the frame (exactly like we do) and splice the two together with "fish plates" on each side of the frame rail sandwiching the three together. They only tow massive heavy trucks and motorhomes. So if it's good enough for them (where I learned to do it) it's good enough for me. I also overkill the area and use 1/4" plate inside and out stagger welded with grade 8 bolts as a final measure.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
hotcorner216

Ok cool, thanks a lot. I might be going to see a long bed tomorrow, what should i expect to pay for shortening the frame n bed? Thanks
hotcorner216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcorner216 View Post
Ok cool, thanks a lot. I might be going to see a long bed tomorrow, what should i expect to pay for shortening the frame n bed? Thanks
Not sure on the cost. Beds are a pain. Frame not so bad, but you have to remove bed, cab, front clip. I would think if you could get it done for $2,000 total I would think you got a fair deal. What with most long beds going for about that much less than a rougher short bed???
The thing I like most about the long beds is you can look around and find a fairly decent one for not a ton of money. Then shorten it.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote