The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
sixty9c10

Lowering c10 advice please.

Was gonna fit air bag s us pension too truck but as I am using it for a shop/daily truck And dont want any long term issues ive decided to go back too lowering springs and shocks. I still need to get my motorcycle in the back so thinkin heavy duty springs. I want my truck as low as I can usably get. Does anyone have any advice as to what kit to use and some pics of there trucks. I'm also converting the front brakes to discs with 2" drop spindles.
sixty9c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Swar

Re: Lowering c10 advice please.

I recently bagged my '71. I have Airlift Dominator 2500 air bags front and rear. They are rated at 2500 lbs each and can hold up to 600 psi. You could haul anything with them. Converting the suspension to air ride properly is a HUGE project, however. Drop coil springs are quick to do but it will affect your ride quality. I had dropped my truck 2 inches in the front and 5 in the rear with coils, the ride sucked.

My project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651651
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The ride should not SUCK if you do the drop properly.
This doesn't meant just swapping in a set of coils or bags.
It means drop spindles, drop shocks, rear shock relocators, rear track bars, removing bump stops, adding QUALITY drop shocks, correct front end alignment, and adding a sway bbar up front at a minimum.

I get tired of hearing how a lowered truck rides like crap when no effort was put into the drop.
And these are just basic drops.
You can spend as much money as you want on more advanced drops such as the MANY aftermarket coilover kits and air bag kits on the market.
Truck owners need to quit doing a half ass job, just to say they are "on air" or "bagged".

Do your research.
TONS of info on this board.
Look at companies like Porterbuilt, Ridetech, RoadsterShop, NoLimitEngineering, Hotchkis, TCI Engineering, and many more for High end products.

Look at Early Classic Enterprises, Western Chassis, McGaughy's, Belltech, etc, for basic static drop products.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Swar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
The ride should not SUCK if you do the drop properly.
This doesn't meant just swapping in a set of coils or bags.
It means drop spindles, drop shocks, rear shock relocators, rear track bars, removing bump stops, adding QUALITY drop shocks, correct front end alignment, and adding a sway bbar up front at a minimum.

I get tired of hearing how a lowered truck rides like crap when no effort was put into the drop.
And these are just basic drops.
You can spend as much money as you want on more advanced drops such as the MANY aftermarket coilover kits and air bag kits on the market.
Truck owners need to quit doing a half ass job, just to say they are "on air" or "bagged".

Do your research.
TONS of info on this board.
Look at companies like Porterbuilt, Ridetech, RoadsterShop, NoLimitEngineering, Hotchkis, TCI Engineering, and many more for High end products.

Look at Early Classic Enterprises, Western Chassis, McGaughy's, Belltech, etc, for basic static drop products.
Nothing being done half assed here, buddy. I did my research, trust me. I did all of that, except drop spindles. All they do is move the wheel up. I have nothing against a static drop, I just like air ride better, personally. I'm very happy with it.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swar View Post
Nothing being done half assed here, buddy. I did my research, trust me. I did all of that, except drop spindles. All they do is move the wheel up.
Have to STRONGLY disagree...Thats 90% of your ride problem right there, what you didn't do...The first thing purchased for any front drop is the "drop spindles"...Why? because they maintain factory geometry! Secondly, while you have your front end apart is the time to freshen up Ball Joints, Control Arm Bushings, all four Tie Rod Ends, and install a Sway Bar "through" the sway bar bushing hangers...I did the above with 2" drop springs with shorty shocks and that truck steers like a Corvette! Out back, all I did was add the 4" drop springs, no notching, no relocators, and no panhard bar changes...She's solid as a rock and I haul my 500lb bike to shows and drag strips, no problems...If you go anymore than 4" out back then yes, notching, shock relocators and an adjustable bar will be necessary...You can save yourself some money and just cut 1/2 coils of the factory springs up front to drop it beyond the 2" or 2-1/2"' of the drop spindles...My ride IMPROVED 100%! 'just sayin"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Swar

I'm not here to argue with fellow c10 owners. If you think drop spindles are necessary, then give out that advice. I agree, my truck handled exceptionally well with just a coil drop. It also had front and rear sway bars. Although I still had the stock spindles, the handling was not compromised. BUT, the ride could have been better.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
sixty9c10

Thanx for the advice, I'm gonna check out those company's, seem too here lots of people talk bout ride tech so I'll try them first. It's only getting done once so will be doing it right. Thanx again for the helpful advice, I'll keep everyone posted on my progress, as I'm in uk will take couple weeks to get springs, want to order everything this week.
sixty9c10 is offline   Reply With Quote