The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
jakehz

New c10 slow build (new member)

I am relatively new to classic cars in general but I have always loved them just never had the chance to pick one up and have somewhere to work on them. Cars are a huge part of my life. I previously had a 2006 c230 that had every known problem these cars could have. I did almost all the work besides patchinf a hole in the lower intake manifold... Long story short I am pretty comfortable working on cars but I do rely on forums quite a bit. I have hundreds of questions that I am sure I will consistently be bugging you guys with but this forum does seem very lax and filled with knowledge.

So I purchased a 1972 c10 camper special
It has a non original 454 and 410 transmission
I will post a pic of the glove box options, it seems to be pretty loaded and is a custom deluxe with the original blue plaid seat but it has seen better days.

One of my biggest questions is where do I begin...
I have done little things here and there but it's mainly just screwing new bezels or replacing fuses etc. I'll explain what my goal is for the truck...
I want it to be a learning project, I'm not scared to mess things up as long as I'm learning because in due time I want to spend a good chunk of money finding another base c10 that will eventually be my show quality truck.
So for this truck it's gonna be a daily driver that o can throw my surf boards and bikes etc in.

I don't think I will go as far as a frame off but I do want to be thorough.
I will post more about it and pictures when I get the time this week but I am really excited to get going on this truck.
Thanks
Jake
jakehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: New c10 slow build (new member)

Hey Jake, welcome aboard from Florida!
Start with the stuff that makes it safe to drive. Brakes, steering etc.
What kind of shape is it in?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
GRX

Re: New c10 slow build (new member)

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy your "new" truck. As someone said in another thread recently. Good brakes should always be your first priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Your priority should always be:
1. SAFETY
2. Reliability
3. Performance or appearance

Whether you decide to do a disk swap or fix the drums, the brakes should be your first priority.