The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2004, 02:13 AM   #1
ElCaminogirl65

Question I need help

I am confused about something well that may just be an understatement I would really like to get some help with a problem I'm having. I try my hardest to help this person i know but I just don't seem to understand anything he's doing. He has problem's that i just don't understand and he has trouble asking for help. He has this transmission problem, it leaks all the time and he put some leak stop in but it didn't help what should he do?

Please Help!
ElCaminogirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:15 AM   #2
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

it depends on where its leaking from.. Typically its pretty easy to seal a tranny up.. the oil pain, dipstick tube seal, input & output shafts, then maybe the front pump. Then there are miscellaneous little orafices that shouldnt be too hard to fix. (modulator, shifter linkage shaft, etc) Its all about finding the time and putting forth the effort to do it. :/ If the transmission is known to be in otherwise good shape, it is well worth the effort to spend the day (or two) and get all that stuff changed out. I probably wouldnt waste my time though if its a very high mileage unit. Can you elaborate on the problem at all? What vehicle, what kind of transmission, etc?

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:47 AM   #3
ElCaminogirl65

78 GMC 1/2 ton p/u and I believe that the tranny is leaking where the motor and tranny meet. i just am not sure what to do to help him. 350 auto trans

Thx Steph

Steph
ElCaminogirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:04 AM   #4
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by ElCaminogirl65
78 GMC 1/2 ton p/u and I believe that the tranny is leaking where the motor and tranny meet. i just am not sure what to do to help him. 350 auto trans

Thx Steph
The pump o-ring is prone to failing when they get old. Parts cheap...labor isn't. Tranny (and transfercase if it's 4x4) have to come out.

I typed a guy through doing this repair without a lot of removing the case from the tranny but this was on a jacked up 4x4. Easier just to pull the tranny of it's 2wd.

On the 4x4 I had Him put jack stands under the cross member and the pan as tight as he could. Then I had him let some air out of the tires so the weight would end up on the jack stands. Remove the drive shafts and then remove the bolts (including the three that hold the converter to flex plate) that hold the cross member to the frame and the bell housing to the engine.
Once loose refilled the tires to clear the crossmember a little then roll the truck foward a the few inches he needed to do the work..

In addition to the O-ring there is a seal for the converter to the pump that can fail. There is also a bushing behind that seal that suportsthe converter. it's recomended that it be replaced when you replace the seal.

Just need to figure out what one is leaking. If it's that pump housing o-ring then you might have trouble pulling the pump out. When they are soft it takes a slide hammer. Tranny shop can pop it right out in about 30 seconds. Then the threads need to be inspected where the bolts hold the pump to the case. They are prone to stripping out and may need to be heli coiled.

Also need to evaluate the tranny.
Does it shift good?
what does the fluid look like?
how many miles on it?

Any plans to put some grunt in front of it?

About half the cost on your average local tranny shop (as in not chains like AMCO, Mr Transmission) is labor to remove. If you take thetranny to them you can often get a deal. If the tranny doesn't need any hard parts like Sprangs and stator shafts it's not very expensive parts wise to rebuild. To the average Jo the parts are around $125 including a stock spec reman converter. Wholesale I'm sure it's less. You can often find small local shops that will rebuild a TH350 for around $300-350.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 02-01-2004 at 03:13 AM.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:09 AM   #5
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

not to hijack the thread but all the tips so far seem to cover the issue but i just noticed your from phoenix-i live in tempe and we have several other phoenix area members as well.where abouts in phoenix are you from?welcome to the board too btw.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #6
Blue Beard

Sounds more like a f**d, they leak........just put down some paper.....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote