The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
68_2_H8

IFS Front clips - who's got em and how do you like it?

I'm researching IFS front kits for my project '68 Suburban. Wanted to get some input from guys that have these types installed on their rides (whatever brand).

Other option I'm looking at is buying the Air Ride Technologies tubular dropped A-arms for a new Chevy, then a rear axle out of a new chevy and the spindle, and an aftermarket big brake kit.

Any input from people that have "been there, done that" would be appreciated. Looking for benefits and losses from installing the parts. I'm going to run 2,600lb airbags on my install.

Thanks,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
68_2_H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dave take a look at this thread Crossmember Drop It's pretty long, but it will give you some insight on one of your options.

The front suspension on the 67-72 is pretty much the same as the 73-87 trucks. You will encounter some differences in clearance if your running tall tires. The 73-87's don't require you to relocate your hood hinges, etc.

I have done quit a bit of research on most of the IFS options for my 82 Blazer. At this time my plans are to run a Scotts Hot Rod front end. Of all the choices out there this one "seems" to be the best for our application.

BTW- Isn't that your F-150 on your website?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
68_2_H8

Well the Scott's is the same that I was looking at, just hoping to get enough lift. My burb is going to be laid out flat on the ground (body) with 22" wheels.

The F-150 (Catch 22) is mine. I'm trying to sell it, I hardly drive it (scared of getting hit!). lol. Took about 1-1/2 years to build, but now I learned alot from it and think the Suburban will go faster.

Later,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
Old 01-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
Primed67

Hey that is a great looking truck even though it is a Ford. You need more pics of that model on your site. Man she is awesome. If that was my truck I think I would have some pics of it with her.
2014 1/2 ton Crew Cab Chevrolet 4x4
Primed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Izzy
Trucker.

Quote:
Originally posted by 68_2_H8
Well the Scott's is the same that I was looking at, just hoping to get enough lift. My burb is going to be laid out flat on the ground (body) with 22" wheels.

The F-150 (Catch 22) is mine. I'm trying to sell it, I hardly drive it (scared of getting hit!). lol. Took about 1-1/2 years to build, but now I learned alot from it and think the Suburban will go faster.

Later,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
Very clean truck. I always liked the pic of you plowing up the sand on the beach when it was blue.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
68_2_H8

Hey thanks guys, the Ford was a blast, especially that day on the beach!!! ha ha, gotta get my burb out there!!!

I started looking at that thread! WOW, what a ton of info, excellent.

I've got the Blood Drag show coming up at the end of the month, maybe then I can score some pics with some babes all over it!!!

I'm gonna try to scan in my rendering of the project within the next few days.

Later all,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
Old 01-24-2004, 01:33 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

For any of you guys that haven't seen Daves truck in person, you are missing out. Every inch of his truck is slicked out, molded in, and painted or plated. Pick up just about any truck mag from last year and you will see pics of it.

Dave I too have been pressed with concern over lift. My Blazer will be pretty low, but not body dropped. Me and the manager of the shop I am using have decided that we can not get the lift we want out of Shockwaves. We are planning to use the "Super Slam" IFS with 2600 bags instead.

Lets see some construction pics of your Burb....
Old 01-25-2004, 11:30 PM   #8
68_2_H8

Hey man,

Well so far I don't have any pics besides of it sitting collecting dust. I'm wrapping up some details with a few companies to help on the build up and should have things settled in the next 2-3 weeks.

Unfortunately the bulk of my spending cash for this burb is sitting in my garage (my F-150/Catch22). It's listed in this months DuPont Registry for sale and hopefully someone will buy it within the next 2 months so things can get rolling fast on the burb.

I think I'll be giving the guys a call on that same front end, see what options and pricing they have for it.

Later all,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
Old 01-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Cool deal. Good look with selling it. I'm sure you hate to let it go, but I suppose you have taken it as far as you can....twice..... so it's time to move on.

The shop I am using, Stoked Out Specialties has one ordered for a T-bird project they are building. It should be at their shop this week. What they think about the finished product determines whether I order one for mine. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 01-27-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
67dragtruck

suspension kits

I have the fat mans kit and love it. I ordered it with coil springs and no brakes and used Aerospace Components brakes. The guys at fat mans are very helpful and the kit's very well designed. It doesn't have any bumpsteer at all. I have done a lot of wheelstands with it and it always goes straight when the tires come down.
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #11
68_2_H8

Hey 67 dragtruck, ? for you. Does your front end camber bad at all through a wide range of movement? I'm wondering how bad the camber would move with that kit with airbags.

May have to give them a ring and see the pricing on it.

Thanks,
Dave Shulman
wheelstop
Old 01-30-2004, 01:58 AM   #12
brad2

I have a much modified Morrison clip and it has very little camber change. Of course it is not set up to lay out on 22's.
Attached Images

brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dave, I don't think you will like a Mustang II for what you are trying to do. 67dragtruck is correct in they are strong well designed front end for "most" applications.

The problem with the M II style front end for your application will be the A-arms are very short. They make the crossmember wider to accomdate the short A-arms.

Ror the amount of travel you will need to lay out on 22's, I think you will see a much better mechanical advantage with long A-arm style suspension.

If you want an example of this, take a look at any 2wd desert racer. You will notice they have "very" long A-arms attached to a narrow crossmember. This allows a huge amount of suspension travel while maintaining proper camber.

BTW- Almost all of the different brands of IFS on the market end up being "about" the same price if you get all the options.If you would like, I can give you a list of some of the IFS that I researched, and the reason I didn't use them...
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
Bowtie67

Cool

I ordered the front end from Scotts the end of Dec, Supposed to be arriving next week. cant weight, They claim the weight of their front end weighs 215lbs, I weighed up most of all my componants that I have taken off and come up with over 325+lbs, I also ordered there 4 bar Kit for the rear to try and get it to Hook instead of just smoking tires.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:28 AM   #15
Bowtie67

Cool

I should have mentioned this before in my last post here, but Scotts Hotrods is going to be on the Learning Channel/Discovery channel on Febuary 10, When I had talked to them last there was a crew there for two days for this documentary. I will be talking to them again and I will see if I can get some more info this.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote