The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
sk8er32283

opinions please "patina" look

I want to get some other paint on my truck beside the current hunter green. It needs to be cheap and able to be done in stages. I like the patina look also. I am going with the rustoleum paints because they are cheap. I have darker blue seats already so I am trying to play my color scheme off the seats. Here is a picture of the seats and a picture of an ashtray that I am experimenting on. All opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images

1971 Chevrolet C10(78 motor), Longbed, 69 Bed I think
Quadrajet 4 barrel 7043208, Th350 tranny, No A/C
Various components are lightly to highly modified depending on the number of beers consumed prior to modifications performed.
sk8er32283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
sk8er32283

Re: opinions please "patina" look

Another picture with them together. I am thinking of going wit a white, gray and black combo also.
Attached Images

Various components are lightly to highly modified depending on the number of beers consumed prior to modifications performed.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
davepl

Well, if all opinions are welcome...

I'd suggest that once the body is perfectly straight you shoot it with DP90LF, then a high build primer for lots more block sanding, then DBC2000 in the color of your choice, then a DCU clear.

Then wet sand the clear out in stages of 1000, 2000, 3000. Some people use an orbital on the 3000 pass. Then 3-stage 3M cutting/polishing steps to really bring out the shine.

As for color, that's up to you. But you did want it in stages, and there are about 8 stages in this approach.

Why do I hate patina so much? Because I grew up in a world of red-oxide primer'd Novas with shackles. Wasn't right then, ain't right now. But I get that budget considerations are a reality - I literally bought headers one side at a time once :-) Better to drive it than not, so do the BEST you can with what you have. Works for me.

Remember, you -did- say "all opinions".
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
sk8er32283

Thanks for the input. I said it and I met it. It only takes one persons suggestion and know how to possible spawn my dream.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Swar

Let's see some pics of the whole truck!
As good as a mint paint job looks, it just isn't practical for a daily driver. I like seeing these old trucks with character.

Check out my build, with some patina...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651651
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Greasey Harley

look at naturally patina'd trucks, note how and where things get worn. experiment with how to replicate that look.
I once beat the crap out of a Stratocaster, in an attempt to "relic it", I ended up with a worthless, crappy, beat up guitar.
Good luck
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
sk8er32283

This was just a test I did on the ashtray. The rest of the truck is still how I bought it. Ugly and miss matched.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Lee H

This topic gets about as many differing opinions as which oil to use. Bottom line is you need to do what YOU want. Most folks like real patina, most do not like fake because very, very few can get it right. Browse some real and fake patina threads to get some ideas of what's what. I think the trick is figuring out what not to do and understanding what causes real patina. Hint, it's not sanding many small blotches down to primer as to emulate a 7 year old with measles. I like the idea of trying to get your truck color coordinated. Have fun and make it yours. Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
65standard

I have an original paint patina truck. The radio delete and ash tray do not weather, scratches maybe, but not weathered and worn through like yours.

My natural patina paint is faded, dull, many small nicks and scratches, but the only burned through paint is on the top edges. Basically, the top of the hood, the top of the roof, the top of the door skins, and the top of the bed sides and gate. There is no burn through anywhere else. I would imagine in time the patina would slowly grow down.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker

Last edited by 65standard; 02-20-2015 at 06:33 PM.
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Why do I hate patina so much? Because I grew up in a world of red-oxide primer'd Novas with shackles.
Actually, I should probably be more direct and less dramatic. What I really mean is that I dislike -fake- patina when it's used as a shortcut.

If a truck is old and has naturally worn and faded, I think that's kind of cool, depending on the look. Rust perforations end that for me, but a -real- old service station, hardware, or whatever truck is cool. Faithful reproductions of that wear even I can deal with (not the Trucks TV "sand through multiple coats of random colors" fake stuff).

What I don't care for is (and again, just me, you can find a million free opinions and you get what they're worth, usually) when patina is faked, but more important, used as a shortcut to avoid proper work or craftsmanship.

You can bolt a beer tank on the front of a '32 Ford, put a chrome skull on the shifter, but it's ugly and lazy to my eye (just mine). If it's fast, I can overlook it. But people that sit around in rusty old cars with iron crosses and fake patina and skull shifter knobs - I'm just too old. If they're having fun, I highly endorse it.

I just don't aspire to it.

I want to learn the craft. I want each project I do to be a little better than the last. I want the wiring a little neater, the stainless transmission cooler lines a little straighter, or in a smarter location.

That also means I spend less time driving them than some folks, and that's a drawback.

As most have said, do what YOU want to do, and so long as it doesn't risk the safety of yourself or others on the road, you love it and we will too.

Cosmetic shortcuts to getting it out and driving are defensible. Shortcuts that are then held up as "the new old thing" I just ignore and then go online and complain about them in forums :-)

Whatever you do, enjoy it. It's about the process.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #11
jocko

No way to tell from a sample as small as the ash tray whether or not it will look good when you're done.

As many have noted above - LOVE real patina - but it's hard to come by. Some of the real patina looks like just an old sun-bleached piece of crap, but some, SOME, looks really nice. This is the type people want to emulate. And it's VERY hard to make it look like the kind that looks good when it's not real.

If you really want faux-tina, a couple recommendations:
1) buy a copy of the Trucks! TV show where they built the early AD truck and patina'ed it. http://www.powernationstore.com/Truc...classixdvd.htm (or, it's probably on YouTube for free) Very detailed instructions in there. Having said that - I really didn't like their result, but the process is sound/correct - or whatever you call it to sand off a fresh paint job.
2) more importantly - go to the junkyard and look around at the faded paint. Take a few pics. And, last but not least - BUY a few fenders off a car nobody will ever want, you know, like a Ford or something, that are weathered - and CHEAP. And practice on them. Practice several times.

If, after all that, you still want to faux-tina, go for it with confidence.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote