The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
fade94

Heater box questions

1) Does the factory under hood A/C box have to come off to replace the heater core on a 68?
2) Will a NON A/C box and heater core work on a factory A/C cab?

I just got the truck and I want to drive it, but I need heat. I will be upgrading to a Vintage Air or similar system in the future. I have a stock heater box laying around that I would like to put on in the meantime to have heat. Will it work?
03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: Heater box questions

I have recently replaced mine on 72 C10 w/factory ac. Heater core is located on cab side firewall below and behind glove box. Housing has 6 bolts total. 2 are removed from inside and housing has 4 studs fixed that go thru firewall and has nuts on engine side firewall. The four nuts on engine side are tricky to locate and get off. Factory ac and non factory ac are mounted differently and are different size.
Bandit130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
fade94

Thank you sir!
03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit130 View Post
I have recently replaced mine on 72 C10 w/factory ac. Heater core is located on cab side firewall below and behind glove box. Housing has 6 bolts total. 2 are removed from inside and housing has 4 studs fixed that go thru firewall and has nuts on engine side firewall. The four nuts on engine side are tricky to locate and get off. Factory ac and non factory ac are mounted differently and are different size.
I am going to be working on my ac/heat in my truck soon. Did you have to remove the inner fender to get to the bolts? Any advice on finding the bolts?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Bandit130

If you have factory ac, right fender/fender well does not have to be removed. Heater core and housing is removed from cab side. . Without factory ac, yes you do and also right hood hinge. You can remove the rear bolts of hood hinge, leave and loosen front bolt, tilt hood and hinge towards front then tighten front bolt hopefully without completely removing hinge/hood. (Things you have to think of when you are working by yourself!!!) Blower motor is located behind hood hinge too.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
hdff

Quote:
If you have factory ac, right fender/fender well does not have to be removed. Heater core and housing is removed from cab side. . Without factory ac, yes you do and also right hood hinge. You can remove the rear bolts of hood hinge, leave and loosen front bolt, tilt hood and hinge towards front then tighten front bolt hopefully without completely removing hinge/hood. (Things you have to think of when you are working by yourself!!!) Blower motor is located behind hood hinge too.
so with factory ac to remove both I will have to do the hood hinge trick to remove the evap/blower and get the heater from the inside

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #7
Bandit130

so with factory ac to remove both I will have to do the hood hinge trick to remove the evap/blower and get the heater from the inside

Heater core is in its own housing under and behind glove box which is removed from cab side. (W/Factory AC)
If heater blower motor needs to be removed, then the right hood hinge will need to be done, which is removed from engine side. Motor can be removed, if needed, with approximately 6 screws.

Last edited by Bandit130; 02-26-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
hdff

Quote:

Heater core is in its own housing under and behind glove box which is removed from cab side. (W/Factory AC)
If heater blower motor needs to be removed, then the right hood hinge will need to be done, which is removed from engine side. Motor can be removed, if needed, with approximately 6 screws.
thanks , my plan is to pull the whole evap/fan unit off the fire wall to check/inspect it all . also my heater core is leaking so I am going to pull that at the same time