The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
manimal

Walk through cab/bed??

Anyone remember these from the 90's??? How hard would it be to reverse that?
For those who dont know what they are, it's when you cut the back of the cab and front of the bed wide open, add a shell so you have a "walk through". I am looking at buying one, but the rear of the cab is what I think would be the hardest part of "fixing" it. the front of the bed would be very easy, just replace the headboard.
Thanks
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
cooperhw

Re: Walk through cab/bed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Anyone remember these from the 90's??? How hard would it be to reverse that?
For those who dont know what they are, it's when you cut the back of the cab and front of the bed wide open, add a shell so you have a "walk through". I am looking at buying one, but the rear of the cab is what I think would be the hardest part of "fixing" it. the front of the bed would be very easy, just replace the headboard.
Thanks
No problem. Bit of work, yes.
Took me two days to cut my cab back/roof off and replace the entire section.
Mine had a huge hole in the roof too. Actually I think in your case it also might be easier to clip the front a pillars off and then cut the back of the cab off low where it is not so visible.
Here's a couple pics of mine I just did a couple weeks ago.
Also a little disclaimer. Not trying to tell you this is the correct or only way to make that repair, just that it only cost me $100 to buy the donor cab and two days labor so I would not pass on a nice truck I wanted if it had this repair needed. But, that's just me. Call me lots of things, but LAZY is not one of them.
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
hugger6933

That is almost the same way we do[did] the late model rollover trucks and suv's. A lot of S-10's and Blazers Colorado's I guess just about anything that would flip over except we would cut through the rockers and the floor board straight across somewhere depending on the rocker damage if any. Of course different models have different places better suited for that sort of thing some even have a seam that would appear to be a cut line to a rebuilder. I had noticed the motor home with the pick up cab put on in recent days and have been respecting the work, I have had a truck come to my shop that has had roof damage and we cut the a- pillars and through and the back glass but then found more rust so I am gonna have to go back and get some more of the back panel to put om the truck to cut out the rust. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
swamp rat

Heres the other approach.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
That is almost the same way we do[did] the late model rollover trucks and suv's. A lot of S-10's and Blazers Colorado's I guess just about anything that would flip over except we would cut through the rockers and the floor board straight across somewhere depending on the rocker damage if any. Of course different models have different places better suited for that sort of thing some even have a seam that would appear to be a cut line to a rebuilder. I had noticed the motor home with the pick up cab put on in recent days and have been respecting the work, I have had a truck come to my shop that has had roof damage and we cut the a- pillars and through and the back glass but then found more rust so I am gonna have to go back and get some more of the back panel to put om the truck to cut out the rust. Jim
I hear you Jim. I would have (MUCH) rather went through the rocker and all the way across under the seat where very little showed but with my 68 having perfect rockers and cab corners and the donor being rusty in those areas I had to look elsewhere. I picked the area I did so that all my good stuff stayed put, even the door jamb with the vin affixed.
Sometimes I think you just have to pick the lesser of evils for that particular vehicle.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
manimal

I have only seen pis of the truck so far. But as far as I can tell only the lower half of the cab was cut out for the walk through. So I cant imagine it would be too tough to fix.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote