The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Steve's58'Apache

Fuel tank- No suction

Hello all,

This is my first post. I have a 1958 Apache Stepside. The motor is a 350 from 1972 Chevrolet Pick up. The mechanical fuel pump had gone out on it. Replaced that. Rigged up a short fuel line to the Fuel pump with a funnel to feed fuel. [IMG][/IMG]

Engine ran great! I'm currently working on removing the in cab fuel tank. I'm using a 64' falcon tank that I bought locally. The mounting and securing of the tank has gone well.

I put a new fuel sending unit in the tank, ran a rubber fuel injection line from the tank to the existing hard fuel line. (Which I had blown out with an air compressor to ensure there was not any foreign material in the line) So now I'm feel that im all hooked up, ready to run. I put a few gallons of gas. Start cranking, I realize it may take a bit to feel fuel up to the engine. But it never reached it. I removed hard line from carb, cranked, nothing. I used a multi- use hand pump where the rubber meets the hard line. Nothing. While using the hand pump I smelled the strong gasoline fumes. Now I'm stuck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've seen others use an in line fuel pump. Is that necessary?? Will it provide Better suction than the multi-use hand pump?
Steve's58'Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
octanejunkie

Re: Fuel tank- No suction

Make sure your tank is properly vented. You can test this by removing the gas cap while trying to draw fuel through your lines. If that doesn't work, re-check all your lines for a blockage.

IME, an electric pump mounted near the tank may work better than a mech pump at the engine. YMMV

'59 Chevy 3100 Stepside
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Steve's58'Apache

Thanks Octane!!! I'll investigate those avenues tomorrow!
Steve's58'Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #4
MyDream55

I agree with the above comment. You will almost definitely have to go with an electric fuel pump as your mechanical pump can not pull from your gas tank where its at now. Put that in and it will be fixed. Good luck.
MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #5
mr48chev

1. it ran good with the funnel hooked to the pump so that eliminates the pump unless you got a chunk of dirt in the pump from the funnel or gas jug that killed the pump.

2. have you checked the length of steel line to make sure that it does not have a pin hole or kink or maybe a leaking connection in the middle?

I'd put a container that could catch gas over the hose that went between the fuel line and pump and then blow air into the filler neck and see if I could blow fuel though the line and into the jug. The container is to catch any dirt that was in the steel line along with catching the gas that you blow though the line. Once you get an unimpeded flow of gas that far you should be ready to hook the line back up and fire the truck up. You might want to prime the float bowls of the carb so the engine fires up and runs to be able to pump fuel a bit better though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Nordic

Make sure the pick up tube is long enough to reach the gas in the tank
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Northern lights

If there is a leak anywhere between the tank and pump it will not pick up. Since you used the hand pump, check your lines between the pick-up tube and the hand pump and don't forget to check the pick-up tube itself. It may have a crack in. I doubt the the tank location has anything to do with it. Even the big boats of the '70's that were two blocks long with the tank in the back and mech fuel pump had no issues. Otherwise, like Nordic said, make sure the new pick-up tube is in the fuel. It may be short and with just a few gallons may not be reaching the fuel.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
OrrieG

Once the siphon is established from the tank to the mech pump, the pump is not working that hard, same with electric mounted at the front near the original location. I know nothing about FI systems, but carb systems use a vented fill cap. I think FI systems are closed with a line back to the tank acting as a vent. First time I started mine (new tank in back, all new fuel lines) I primed the carb and lines thru the frame mounted filter so it would run long enough to establish the siphon out of the tank. As others said, it is either a block or small pinhole or leak at connection.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
1project2many

Quote:
Ya... if'n you blew back into the tank with the air compressor is it possible you blew off a section of hose or put a hole in a section of hose inside the tank? Did the pickup tube in tank have a small sock filter?
1project2many is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
i'd add a few more gallons of gas to be sure, that is the easy and cheap way to check
also blow back thru the hose into the tank to confirm you hear bubbling
a mechanical pump will work fine with your application

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
mr48chev

Also make sure the pickup tube isn't damaged or defective. I thought about that yesterday but didn't put it down as you said the sender was "new".

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote