The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Mgicm

'New' 50 Bought... some help needed

Hi,
Picked up a 50 3100 and sure could use some help with questions i have.

1. Some of the floor and a tiny part of rocker has rust/hole. Can I lay a piece of metal over it and weld in? Im not looking for show car at all just to make it stronger. What gauge metal do you use for floors?

2. Do they make 18 inch flat steel black wheels cheap? Ive seen the detroit place but its like 200-300 per rim. Looking for bigger than the 15's i have and cheaper

3. Did 1950 come with one piece glass in door? if so where could i just get glass or do i need the frame with it? Been looking and ive seen most sell with a frame around the glass which adds a bunch to the price.

4. Anyone redone the gas tank so that it is not behind seat? Sure would like to see how that is done...

thank you
GP
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: 'New' 50 Bought... some help needed

Welcome, your questions can be answered by using the search box at the top, set to the 67-72 site.

Here are some short answers.
1. any existing rust has to be removed to good metal or it will continue to spread. There are patch panels available for the areas you describe, and lots of build threads that show how it was replaced. Deal with it now, or later....
2. Search for 18" wheels with the lug pattern you have 6 or 8.
3. Search for 1950 door glass.
4. Lots of options, aftermarket aluminum, Mustang, Suburban, top, side or back fill, carb of FI engine? Do a search for rear mounted tank or look thru the build threads.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote