The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
hanly2

Air ride installation help thread

Ok I am in the process of installing air ride on my 72 and I have never done this before and I am not a mechanic so I run into a lot of hiccups and I need to ask questions to move on. So I am starting this thread in the hopes that someone will guide me along in the process. Right now I have the frame notched in the rear and I just started on the driver side front. I have the spring out and I finally got the top plate installed after drilling a lot of holes for some reason the holes are really close to the inside wall of the mount. and had a hard time widening the holes to get the bolt or nut on flush. Now I need to remove the steering bump stop but I am not sure how it is attached, I tried the air hammer around the ends but that didnt get me far, there has to be a easier way. I also need to come up with the best direction to run the airline into that area. And a good location to run my lines into the cab. Should I just cut a new whole and get a grommet somewhere?

Ok so The first 2 questions please. Thanks
Here is some pictures.

hanly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Air ride installation help thread

The steering bumpstop is spot welded on, so by drilling the spot welds out first, will help in removal with the air chisel. The best way to get the line into the front bag, is to drill a hole in the back of the cross member, and run the line through that. Make sure to use a grommet through the hole, to protect the air line. A 90 degree fitting in the bag will work from there.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
hanly2

I cant even see the spot welds because of the rust and pitting, I will see what I can do though. I'll also see if I can source some grommets for the air line. I got one of the mounting plates installed. Does the hardware look sufficient? Someone said that it looks cheap and short. It came with the brackets. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
amashal

i cut my bump stops off with a sawzall as low as I could get it. Then grind it down flush with a 4" angle grinder. Didn't take long at all with either tool. Hardware looks good to me. It is what mine looks like. If it isn't right I guess we're both SOL.
amashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
SCOTI

Try www.mcmastercarr.com for the grommets.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
hanly2

Amashal, do you have the same brackets from bcfab? Trying to see where to place the bag.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
amashal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
Amashal, do you have the same brackets from bcfab? Trying to see where to place the bag.
No. My brackets are similar though. Your bag should bolt in the two slotted holes with the bag fitting coming through the big opening in the center. I guess it depends on what bags you're using. If they are dominators then they should mount as described.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
hanly2

Yeah my bags line up with either location.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
Yeah my bags line up with either location.
Try mounting the bag @ the a-arm, lift the arm up until the bag touches the upper plate & see which set of holes lines up best.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
hanly2

Ran out of sawzall blades so I am shopping now. I found this amplifier wiring kit while I was looking for 8 gauge wire, and the kit that comes with the fuse holder and a ton of other stuff that may be useful is cheaper then just buying the wire, do you guys think it will work, will it hold the fuse I need whatever size that may be?
Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier... Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
amashal

Yes the amp install kit will work. You will also want to run a relay before each compressor.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
hanly2

amashal which way did you run your airline from the front bags? I have manual valves so I need to get them all into the cab soewhere in the firewall also, but all the holes are up high and I dont know if I should try to run the line up behind the engine?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
amashal

None of my line goes into the cab. Mine runs from the bags to the Accuair manifold mounted behind the right rear tire. I did drill a hole in the backside of the front crossmember so my line comes out there and runs down the length of my frame.