The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
chebyshortbox65

Question for everyone.

Hi guys I got a question for everyone. I am not trying to advertise mods. I would like to become a supporting member and create an add for the harness work I do on the side especially on the California smog legal swap. Is there aarket for it on here?
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Question for everyone.

Theres a market for anything if your better or cheaper than the next guy down the line.

There are probably 8-10 companies that come well recommended in the LS harness discussions here and elsewhere. While I don't think its really an "open" market, I do think that there is always room for a niche if you're good.

My suggestion would most likely be to highlight that you do the cal-approved stuff, which is a selling point to a number of swappers. I know other companies can do it, but being "the" go to for them would give you a niche to operate. Otherwise you run the risk of being overshadowed by the existing companies who have an existing customer base/website etc.

My .02

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As far as the memberships click on the word "Subscribe" in the Blue menu bar above and it will list all of the different categories.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
mattcrp1

I think there is a market to be had here in California if you can make/modify a harness ready for the referee. There are a lot of questions to be answered when doing a swap and maintaining legality. I am doing this swap my self on a 76 so I say go for it!
Upper Control Arm Bushings: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=616974
IG mattcrp1
mattcrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

The fact that you are in Cali AND make a legal harness is what I would impress upon in your ads.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

I would also do other swap harnesses. I am swappin in a 4.6 2V for my F100 project, and every harness was $850 plus. I could swing $400, but at that price I am fixing my own. I also plan on trying to use the factory display first before I go with aftermarket guages.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
earl84

I'm not a business owner, but I would advise you to not set your price point so low that you barely make a profit. You might enjoy doing this, but when it's a business, you want to make money at it, or you won't stick with it long. You will have customers who want their harness quickly and if you spend 20 hours doing a harness and profit $40, you won't be too motivated to keep going, and other activities will take priority, and soon you have angry customers, and then it's over. Even if you want to up your pricing at that point to make it worthwhile, your reputation will suck.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
NorCalAnthony

Like others have said, there’s always room for more competition between businesses. Especially if you have a niche that sets you apart from the other vendors like making a CA compliant harness. I myself am in CA and gathering parts for a 5.3/4l80e swap in my ’89 K5 and have been researching harnesses for a few months now. Out of all the places/shops/websites I’ve talked to, most do not offer a harness that maintains the evap and emissions stuff we need to make our swaps legal. There were one or two places that could make a harness with everything but for their prices were through the roof. Others offered to sell the extra wiring for that stuff at an additional cost that I would then have to tear down the harness and add myself. I kinda gave up after that and decided to give modifying the stock harness to fit my needs a shot when I get to that point. If you can make a quality harness that’ll work for us CA guys that won't break the bank, I’m sure you wouldn't have any issues selling them.

ps Let me know if you need a guinea pig to try out one of your harnesses
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote