The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #30
UMDSmith

Re: Whats the next "67 to 72"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You don't need a college degree to shoot holes full of most statements here. I'll try to present this in a non-condescending way from down here in seat-of-the pants technology land. I am a self-made hard working blue color working man who has used these trucks for their intended purposes since they were new. And, I love my job. At least I'm not some miserable sap with a degree who puts a white color on to kiss someone's butt for a paycheck. I attribute much of my initial financial success to the durability of this series of GM truck. They are as cost effective, if not more, than any truck I have ever used in my real world business. Let my remark on some points here:
Non-condescending land? Maybe you should re-read what you wrote. You are attempting to belittle a college degree, and a white collar job in one sentence. Kudos.

Once again, you show a lack of citation of sources, and even claim it is seat-in-the pants technology land. Here is a tidbit for you, these trucks weren't made by seat in the pants technology, they were made with engineering using math, and actual science.

You believe whatever you want about steel, or hail damage, because yes, older vehicles were much better for low impact collisions and things such as hail or hitting a mailbox. Steel is thinner now, and a lot more weight goes into occupant safety as opposed to body rigidity. The weight has to come off somewhere to keep an average car from weighing 4 tons.

Oh and about your Fords and Dodges, they last just as long too. They have their own forums. I had a 1974 Ford f100 that my parents bought from me before my 1970 chevy c20, and it was basically the same damn truck as I have now, except a Oval and not a bowtie (i6 vs v8 as well).

You need to use the internet to do some research. Look at traffic fatalities per year/mile driven, or any NHTSA report and compare it to 1960-1980 report. You can argue with me all you want, but arguing math makes you look simple.

Here, this is your "old" steel vs a 2009 car. That old american car really handled that impact well, didn't it! Wish they would do a pickup into a pickup to show the difference there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Guess who would have died.

Here is a frontal crash test of a 1979 K20 at 30mph, and a 2015 Chevy at 35mph (btw 35 mph is exponentially more force than 30mph at this mass)
1979 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvCDDtHnKc
2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y51ES-z0m8

The difference is pretty clear. There is almost no transfer of force into the cab on the 2015, and the doors probably still open. The k20 damn near folded, and that driver is going to not be a comfortable guy for a while.

Stop selling these damn trucks like they are the best vehicles ever made, they aren't. They were value engineered just like every other vehicle EVER made. Once a corporation enters into a perfect competition environment, the only way to continue making profit margins is to cut production costs. This was very true in 1960-1980, just as it is today. In fact, with news proliferation today, car companies actually have to be MORE careful, as bad press can absolutely tarnish a company and affect stock prices dramatically.

Last edited by UMDSmith; 03-05-2015 at 01:50 PM.