The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
Sklptrljay

Name that odor!

So I have noticed that when I leave my truck out on a warm/hot day and have left the windows up, there is a nice smell waiting for me.
At first I thought it was a chemical smell, almost like when you smell burnt plastic. I had not left it out like that again for a while and kind of forgot about it. But, yesterday I left it the same way and when I opened up the door, there was that smell again.
Now, I'm thinking that it's fuel causing the smell. Obviously if it's a fuel leak I'll get it fixed, but I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like this. And if so, was there a certain spot in the fuel system that might be more susceptible to leaking when left in the heat.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Name that odor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
So I have noticed that when I leave my truck out on a warm/hot day
Thats a hellofa question when half the damn nation is buried underneath 5 feet of snow!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
67chevy_hotrod

My fuel tank doesn't vent properly so in the dead of summer if I have a pretty full tank it smells like gasoline because its pressurizing the cap and vents through it... Needless to say i already bought a replacement tank lol. I don't know if that will help but that's what makes mine smell
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super 10 turned K30 (sold)
67chevy_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Thats a hellofa question when half the damn nation is buried underneath 5 feet of snow!
Funny! I actually was thinking that as I was writing it. It's been beautiful here in California, but it's really frightening to think of how little rain we've had.

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
Ironangel

Just kidding..."Sortof"...Check underneath the cab for wet spots on the lines. clear out the junk under the seat and inspect the bottom of the tank for wet areas...I dont know if your truck has the vented line and cap but if it's equipped with the charcoal canister, make sure the cap is open and the lines are clear. Iit may be building pressure on the warmer days(whatever they are?) and venting through a less than perfect connection on the vent line to the tank... All good man, I couldn't resist...Check or get a "vented cap" and your problems should go away...At first before the read, I was thinking, dead mouse and family...lol
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy_hotrod View Post
My fuel tank doesn't vent properly so in the dead of summer if I have a pretty full tank it smells like gasoline because its pressurizing the cap and vents through it... Needless to say i already bought a replacement tank lol. I don't know if that will help but that's what makes mine smell
I am going to take a look at all the vent lines tomorrow. Maybe the heat caused one of the little rubber caps to pop off. I think the tank is from a 71-72 that had the vapor recovery system. I just plugged it off. Maybe I screwed that one up?

Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
hamjet

Or, you could send the truck to the east coast where it's 6 degrees this morning and it won't have that pesky odor till about june when it decides to WARM UP!!!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
don t. - 72gmc

Quote:
At first I thought it was a chemical smell, almost like when you smell burnt plastic.
Electrical issue?
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Drought eh. I just saw on the weather channel some guy back east is selling snow. By the bottle or box. They are having trouble finding places to dump all that snow. They want it gone. I'm thinking send it out west.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
cdowns

Quote:
I am going to take a look at all the vent lines tomorrow. Maybe the heat caused one of the little rubber caps to pop off. I think the tank is from a 71-72 that had the vapor recovery system. I just plugged it off. Maybe I screwed that one up?
yep you closed off the vent by plugging the vapor recovery system line a normal screw up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

Okay, so I finally had some time to look at my truck and I found the problem. After reading through some other posts about the same issue, I checked my "venting" gas cap. Guess what? Yup, it doesn't vent! So I drilled a hole through the cap and ran all the vent hoses necessary to vent the tank.

I left it in the sun for 2 hours and no gas smell. Just the smell of old truck, which I like!

Thanks everybody!