The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Re: SBC headers WITH z-bar

No 3/4 length header will work. They run right through where the clutch linkage is. You need to look at the rear tube and make sure it drops straight down, if not slightly forward. Full length is fine if you get well made ones that actually fit the truck right. There is absolutely no reason for a set of headers to lay below the bottom of the frame. On my '72 k2500 I have Headman Torque Steps and they are up above the frame. that truck is an automatic, so can't say for sure how they'd work with a clutch. Not sure they even still make them since they are now 11 years old and I never see them offered. I got headman Elites for a K/20 4spd I had but sold it before installing. I'll use them on my '67 SWB with 4/6 drop and M22. I also bought a set of Sanderson shorties that were said to have been installed on a 67-72. I'm keeping my options open, but if those clear the mounts,etc. I know they'll work with the clutch. I've built a few shortbeds with 4/6 drop and run full length headers on all of them with no issues on ground clearance, except trailer loading. That can be an issue with anything lowered and it just requires some 'technique' to get loaded. I learned my lesson loading a '55 car that wasn't even lowered. Went on fine. Not so much backing off. I'm sure those would clear the clutch linkage, since they bent forward a couple inches...ouch!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote