The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
odis.dunkle

Underbed spare tire mounting hardware

My '69 GMC 2500 project has a homemade hitch that invades the underbed space for bracing and prevents the spare from mounting underneath. In the past the spare has either been mounted to the front grille or ridden loose in the bed.
I would like to revert back after removing this hitch.
I have seen new parts to do it from a couple of online sources.
But my question is, if I where to go hunting the pull-a-part world, does anybody know if there are other year ranges, models, etc. that I could pull from and get parts that fit? I mean, all we are talking about is a cross bar with brackets and a couple of hanger bolts, right?
I would also be grateful if somebody with a similar rig could post a photo (or two) of their setup for my future reference.
odis.dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
bluek5

Re: Underbed spare tire mounting hardware

I think would would want to find one from a 67-72. I would think that one from a 73-87 would work, just a little different. I can take some pictures tomorrow afternoon.
Paul
bluek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Katrina/10

The 73-87 tire carrier works fine, and should be easier to find, but the frame mounted cross piece does not fit. If yours is gone, a straight piece of angle iron is all you need. Then some 1/2 inch all thread for the hanger bolts.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluek5 View Post
I think would would want to find one from a 67-72. I would think that one from a 73-87 would work, just a little different. I can take some pictures tomorrow afternoon.
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
The 73-87 tire carrier works fine, and should be easier to find, but the frame mounted cross piece does not fit. If yours is gone, a straight piece of angle iron is all you need. Then some 1/2 inch all thread for the hanger bolts.
I would, of course, prefer to keep the pieces true to period. But for something out of sight and with all the other expenses the truck is demanding, for now I would like something that I can find easy and costs as little as possible.

bluek5 -- the photo would be appreciated

Katrina/10 -- the brackets that secure the tire to the crossbar would be the hard part to fabricate. Maybe I will see what useable pieces I can find at the local yard....
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
gottrucks

It is not even close to original, but I am going to go with one of the winch type setups from a '99 and newer. In the rare event that the tire has to come down, it is so convenient, no crawling under the truck in the mud! Also, you don't have anything hanging down below the tire to drag.
gottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis.dunkle View Post
I would, of course, prefer to keep the pieces true to period. But for something out of sight and with all the other expenses the truck is demanding, for now I would like something that I can find easy and costs as little as possible.

bluek5 -- the photo would be appreciated

Katrina/10 -- the brackets that secure the tire to the crossbar would be the hard part to fabricate. Maybe I will see what useable pieces I can find at the local yard....
The tire just sits on top of the carrier part. There are a couple of large metal tabs welded on the carrier to keep the tire centered. As far as I can tell, there is little difference in appearance or function between 67-72 and 73-87 carriers.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottrucks View Post
It is not even close to original, but I am going to go with one of the winch type setups from a '99 and newer. In the rare event that the tire has to come down, it is so convenient, no crawling under the truck in the mud! Also, you don't have anything hanging down below the tire to drag.
Sounds like what I had on my old 4Runner. Have you checked that you have 'good' metal to mount the winch to and a line of sight to get to the winch to operate it?
Old 03-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
The tire just sits on top of the carrier part. There are a couple of large metal tabs welded on the carrier to keep the tire centered. As far as I can tell, there is little difference in appearance or function between 67-72 and 73-87 carriers.
I will have to do some more HW then. From what I saw online it looked like one bracket actually 'bit' onto the rim for extra security, but that didn't seem to make much sense. My old F@*$ had a rod and bracket that grabbed the center of the rim so that the tire didn't just fall off the bar as you got it loose.

But you got me looking and from LMC at least the hardware they sell for the 67-72 is all the same parts as for the 73-87. So I think that tells me that it is time to start the hunt.
Thx
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
gottrucks

I haven't scoped out what it will entail yet, but having used the originals back in the day, the winch style is worth a bit of extra fab work for me.
gottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
bluek5

Here are a couple of pictures. I thought that I had a 73-up carrier for comparison. I could not find it though.
Paul
Attached Images

bluek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottrucks View Post
You got that right!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=600990
post #6 is what I did. Works slick and cheap!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:43 AM   #12
MAC71

Quote:
Sorry I don't have better photos but this is all I could find

1971 C10 350
1969 C20 396
1979 Corvette L-82
MAC71 is offline   Reply With Quote