The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
STEBS

68 gmc, build direction opinions

Hey yall, been a while since ive been on, lots of things have been going on since then. Long story short, i was givin this 68 gmc for free

Heres where i need some direction... Times have been hard and im basicly rebuilding from almost nothing, and was on the verge of getting back on my feet, and fell right back down... Since then ive decided to finaly start a business ive had in mind for a few years. Meanwhile i am still lookin for work, but until then this business is all i got. I buy, fix/customize, and sell vehicles... Lately ive gotten into being the "deal" man just becuase ive lived so many places, i know where to find cars, trucks, parts, engines etc for a cheap price. And ppl hit me up for what theyre looking for, if i got it ill make ya a deal on it, if not, ill find you what your lookin for. And i charge a small commision on the item so im able to get paid for my time, but i even deliver it to. ANYWAY, things are slowly taking off, but im WAY lacking in the basic things required to do this sorta business(ie no shop, just a dirt/sand driveway, no air, no ability to (without hassle) hoist an engine out). I have a 92 1500 4x4 silverado, 4.3/5spd that is my daily driver, my baby, my only thing i have to show for years of failure... Excellent truck, way over 300k, and still in spectacular and almost all original, 20mpg, BUT its a v6... It can tow, no easily but it does(a month ago i pulled my buddies xtd cab, 1ton cummins, pulling a loaded 24ft goosneck behind it several miles to his house extremely well). Fact of the matter is i dont like pushing my truck like that, and being WAY underpowered,i need a v8! Something old and tough but still bad ass. So as i wait for this next car to sell, i have some time to think about what i want to do...

On one hand, i have a mostly still original, 1 owner special order, 68 gmc 2500. Factory 4x4, heavy optioned(even still has the original 16 split rims!) factory 327/4speed. Until recently my plan for it was to eventually restor it for the barret jackson once i get a shop built. The other day i got the bright idea to turn this truck into the dedicated tow rig. 2 problems tho... This sort of truck SHOULD NOT be malested, becuase its a rare freaking unicorn. Any improvements i would want to make in order to fully enjoy and be able to use will hurt the value. The second problem is the 327/4 speed... If i were building a normal towrig for myself, and its going to see alot highway, i want a mild built small block with alot more stroke for torque, backed by an nv4500. The 327 is an excellent engine in my opinion, i love the piss out of them short strokin power punchers, but NOT for towing. And the 4 speed, i LOVE the granny low gear, but for highway its too low geard to keep from keepin the rpms high with no overdrive. Not to mention this peticular set up would end up wasting more fuel from lugging. So if i decide to powertrain swap the 68, the value would go WAY down but it would help the business out to have a truck like that set up like what i would do to any other tow rig... Plus the coolness factor of the truck would gain reputation in town earning me more business.

OR... I can just get the truck going, it runs just needs fuel supply work, swap the split rims, put good highway all terrains on, clean it up, fix the odd and ends, install a goodneck/5th wheel and sport the truck as is until i can find and afford a suitable replacement.

OR do the same but install a flat bed, mounted air compressor, tool boxes, and mount a crane on it which would help out TREMENDOUSLY here at the house when im workig on other vehicles( for example i have a mostly original 73 f100 i picked up for free, and a running and driving 99 crown vic police intercepter for free. The f100 is getting the intercepter 4.6 SOHC with a trick flow head swap, lowered 2", 18"s with low pros, body/paint, interior and sold. Having the crane would help with the engine swapping between the 2). Or a buddy of mine pitched the idea today about doing a gen-pole set up on the flat bed (which i have a 8k lb ramsey i could use) that way i could remove the gen pole if needed.

So that begs the question... If i did this how well could this 327and 4 speed handle what i need it to do? I considered an rv cam swap for a little better low end torque. Ive never used a 327 to pull with, and from what i know a high hp/low torque engine is like the WORST choice. Im hoping some of u that have maybe drivin something simular amd can chime in ur experiences.

Am i just better off sticking with my v6 for now and just save up for either something newer (like a 1ton 88-98) that already has the newer powertrain?

On the other hand i have ties to the body of a 72 k10 that i sold a guy. I could buy it cheap, and build it into the perfect 67-72 tow rig. And since its not original itsjust a bad ass build, i can build it the way i want like a 24valve/5speed etc and just run wild with it.

When this car sells, i should have about a $3500 profit minus 1500 for various things that will leave roughly 2k to invest back in the business or other quick flip vehicles(ive got a lead on a $300 chevy car needs heads that should flip for a quick grand easy, or an all original 65 chevy c10 327 that ran and drove when parked 20 or more yrs ago for 500). If i pick up a couple quick flippers, thats more profit i could sink into this 68 or other truck build.

So what do i do?
-Run the 68 almost as is with minor changes?
-Mod the 68 to fit my needs and ruin the value for what could end up the official image for my shop for years to come?
-cam swap the 327 for better torque?
-find a cheap runner that can get the job done?
-build a simular truck to the 68(or even older 40's body) and build it exactly how i want?
-run my 92 v6 till i can flip and afford to buy something already set up ready to go?
-Abandon the 68 all together and restore it when i get bigger and a shop built?

A lil direction would be appreciated, yall can be blunt just dont be an ass

Btw sorry bout the book, a full picture is better than a brochure...
73 Ford F100 2wd, getting FI 4.6L powertrain swap
79 Subaru Brat Awd
jandsmotorsports50@yahoo.com
STEBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #2
STEBS

Re: 68 gmc, build direction opinions

Heres one idea i had in mind if decide to restore it and market the image for the shop as a dedicated tow rig
79 Subaru Brat Awd
Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
don t. - 72gmc

JMHO.....this one...."run my 92 v6 till i can flip and afford to buy something"
Whats the saying...if you find your self in a hole, quit digging(big grin).

Check the towing capacity of the 2.
My '07 1/2 ton has a bigger tow cap vs. my 70 3/4 ton.

Good luck...don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post
JMHO.....this one...."run my 92 v6 till i can flip and afford to buy something"
Whats the saying...if you find your self in a hole, quit digging(big grin).

Good luck...don t. ....
^^I agree^^

At least right now your truck is doing the job and helping you to make money/earn a living. I would stay away from any "Heavy Tow" jobs. I heavy can be the death of a little V6 that might have lived a much longer life.
As to the 68; It doesn't sound like you are in a financial situation where you can afford to put a ton of money into it, so don't.
Sort out any issues and keep it as seed money/trade goods if needed to stay afloat.
What part of New Mexico are you in? I have a home near the eastern border about 20 miles away near Springerville AZ.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
STEBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post

Good luck...don t. ....
I never would have thought the towing cap would be that drastic between the two... And dont what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
^^I agree^^

At least right now your truck is doing the job and helping you to make money/earn a living. I would stay away from any "Heavy Tow" jobs. I heavy can be the death of a little V6 that might have lived a much longer life.
As to the 68; It doesn't sound like you are in a financial situation where you can afford to put a ton of money into it, so don't.
Sort out any issues and keep it as seed money/trade goods if needed to stay afloat.
What part of New Mexico are you in? I have a home near the eastern border about 20 miles away near Springerville AZ.
The exact opposite of new mexico, im about 30 miles from texas line and 25 miles from I40
79 Subaru Brat Awd
Old 03-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
STEBS

couple interior shots
79 Subaru Brat Awd
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 AM   #7
STEBS

no body else wants to chime in? I kind of figured more of yall would have something to weigh in...
79 Subaru Brat Awd