The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
Cuate

Advice on Roof/edge repair

Can someone advice me on what options I have on repairing the edge of the outer roof on my C10. I have attached some pictures of what I have so far. I was thinking on ordering a new outer roof but delivery is more than half the price of the roof plus not 100% sure if I can replace it my self. Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Cuate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Cuate

Re: Advice on Roof/edge repair

I forgot to add that I was just replacing the drip rail and I discovered whats on the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
cooperhw

Looks like a lot a rust there. that's also just what is uncovered. Looks like there may be more hidden under filler. I would probably just clip off the roof like I did in my "Meet Homer" build in the projects and builds. At least by cutting off all the bad you are certain to get all the cancer out in one shot and put a nice roof in it's place. You can also put the lower cut in an area that is not so visible as right in your face.
Not saying it's the best, but that's what I would do. I cut off both roofs in one day, and welded the new donor on the next day. Probably about 4 days work total but no more hole.
JMO
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
hugger6933

I'm doing a very similar job for a member screen name WiggyHD.he brought his truck to me with the idea of some rust repair on the roof but I had talked to him and had him prepared for the worst and sure nuff it was. We are doing a Clip on it as well. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Cooperhw, you are amazing with what you have done with your truck. The OP has a bad situation with his rust problem in his roof, and the unseen damage is probably significant. I am concerned I have the same issue as the OP, as my rain gutter has obvious signs of distress under all the pretty paint. When I open that can of worms in the future I will look to your build for the solution.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
CUSTOM/10

With the roof being that bad I would take a serious look at the rest of the cab. If the rest is in similar condition it would be easier to fine a replacement cab !

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Cooperhw, you are amazing with what you have done with your truck. The OP has a bad situation with his rust problem in his roof, and the unseen damage is probably significant. I am concerned I have the same issue as the OP, as my rain gutter has obvious signs of distress under all the pretty paint. When I open that can of worms in the future I will look to your build for the solution.
Thanks.

I would have just swapped cabs like last posted said but my cab is primo. no rust in the floor or rockers. dash is perfect.

I have seen heavy collision do this type of clip on many a new vehicle in a day. serious. a day. I saw a guy take the entire roof and back of a new Toyota 4 runner off in one day and was back on the next. That dude had skills.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Cuate

The rest of the cab is in good shape. Inner rocker panels were replaced, the outer rockers are good. Looks like previous owner did some work on the inner roof. I'm thinking my best bet is removing the outer roof skin and taking a look at what I have then. I just don't have a lot of spare time now but will do a little at a time.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
CUSTOM/10

Cooper

I agree with you, your cab was a perfect candidate for repair. I just wouldn't want anyone to get too deep into that type of repair without checking out the rest of the cab.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
Cooper

I agree with you, your cab was a perfect candidate for repair. I just wouldn't want anyone to get too deep into that type of repair without checking out the rest of the cab.

Gary
Absolutely. Gotta be more hidden somewhere. Hopefully it's not too bad, but usually,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuate View Post
The rest of the cab is in good shape. Inner rocker panels were replaced, the outer rockers are good. Looks like previous owner did some work on the inner roof. I'm thinking my best bet is removing the outer roof skin and taking a look at what I have then. I just don't have a lot of spare time now but will do a little at a time.
instead of taking the time to drill out all those spot welds I would just cut a giant hole in it so you can see how bad it is cause I think it will be horrible. if the previous owner did some work it was probably needed to keep the rain off his head. Then you can decide if what's left is salvageable or not.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Agreed.
Being you are going to take off the roof anyhow, just make the investigation simple by cutting a large open hole to gain access for inspection. Less frustrating this way and will save you some time.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
hugger6933

That is what I had Wiggy HD do when he came to my shop with his truck first it was a patch panel we were thinking I handed him a grinder with some 36 grit on it and told him to go away and out from that rust . Then I gave him my die grinder and told him to start cutting into the truck to find metal that wasn't brown. Once we got there, I handed him a recip saw and pointed him to a parts truck in the side yard and told him to cut it about here and here pointing to some imaginary lines and pushed him towards the door, reminding him he said he wanted to learn from me when he came. We both had a great time.
We ended up putting a clip on, I told him that in doing the late model wrecks like I do the clip cab is the best way to repair a rollover in lots of cases and in this one it may fix all of your rust like it fixed Cooper's camper "damage" and also Wiggy hd's rust. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote