The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
cornerstone

Pulled the trigger

Well I've been lurking for a while now and doing the CL search everyday for at least 6 months. I've been debating on going with a 5.3 or 6.0 for my 72 LWB C-10 that currently has a 350 auto. Today I got a call from a friend about a 5.3 with 6 speed automatic out of a 2014 Z71 silverado with under 20k miles. The truck was rearended and totaled. I was afraid of trying to make a 4wd tranny convert to a 2wd so I just bought the motor, PCM , all acessories, harness, and DBW pedal assembly. I paid $1500.00, which I think was a smokin deal. I was expecting it to have an iron block but it is aluminum. From what I have read it has 355 HP and 385 ft/lb. So now the real research and work begins. Ive seen many a swap go down with the 00-07 motors and Im a little nervous about what might come up since its a newer model. So once I get to doing some sort of work I'll do my best to post up as many pics as I can to return the favor that yall have done for me and so many other guys.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Pulled the trigger

A 2014 would be a GenV engine, direct injected, the works. Not many people have done them yet, but that sounds like a smoking deal, and I would have tripped all over myself trying to get the cash out fast enough to pay the guy! You are probably going to run into some roadblocks along the way, but nothing that can't be overcome. Keep us posted on your progress.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
68c10airstream

I believe the spec that gm talks about is called SIDI. I can't remember what it stands for but the jist of it as ls1nova said is direct injected. Prior ls's were injected from the intake manifold to the back side of the intake manifold. The 2014 you have has the injector spraying directly into the combustion chamber. I believe the system uses a very high (2500 psi) pump driven from the camshaft. It will have a lift pump most likely in the tank to push the fuel from the tank to the high pressure pump on the engine. I almost bought a 2012 impala v6 300hp with SIDI. THIS WAS STOCK. The gm bulletin said that when they moved the injector from the intake to the combustion chamber it was a 15% increase in hp and a 25% reduction in emissions, and this was for the same size v6 engine. Those 2 accomplishments together on the same engine application is amazing Get as much as you can from the donor, and good luck.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
68c10airstream

Getting tired and had a typo, it should have said that the prior ls's were injected from the intake to the back side of the intake valve not intake manifold
Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

You should get the tranny also, especially if it's cheap. It's not that hard to convert.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
cornerstone

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the responses. What other components of the donor truck do you think I should try to buy? I do like the idea of a six speed automatic! Does anybody know what's involved in converting that to 2 WD?. I'm thinking possibly the fuel tank and the instrument cluster? I'm also wondering if I could make the radiator and fans fit.
Brian
Old 03-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Great info

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the responses. What other components of the donor truck do you think I should try to buy? I do like the idea of a six speed automatic! Does anybody know what's involved in converting that to 2 WD?. I'm thinking possibly the fuel tank and the instrument cluster? I'm also wondering if I could make the radiator and fans fit.
Brian
I say get everything you can and sell what you don't need...
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
68c10airstream

I agree with hart rod completely. With the latest and greatest set-up you will be good for a long time. I would love to go to a six speed but I need to get further along on my truck first.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
cornerstone

Well I found a kit to convert the 6 speed automatic to 2 wheel drive for $424 in parts. That seems cheap enough to me. I'm going to offer him $1000 for the transmission set up.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
cornerstone

He agreed to 1000.$ on the 4wd 6 speed automatic tranny. I'm gonna buy it in the morning... man I'm excited...this truck is gonna be so cool... Plus I will be able to sell the transfer case to recoup a few more bucks. Thanks for the advice fellas....
Brian
Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Me&My53

It's probably a good thing to get the original transmission to go with the engine.
Most of the time the ECM is set to control a certain engine/transmission combination. So any change to the original combination, you might have to re flash the ECM and have a new program installed to control what ever transmission you decide to go with. So say this was a 5.3 with a 5 speed manual
trans the computer would be programed to match that combo.
completely different program for a 5.3 with a 6 speed auto.
On these newer engines the computer controls a lot more than just throttle.
these wewer engines have VVT's and alot of them have multiple VVT's
Variable Valve Timming and electronic throttle control.
so they don't have throttle cables just wires that go from the throttle pedal to the throttle body on top the engine. so as the throttle is pushed down the timing is changed as more throttle is given. this is all for better fuel economy and better emmissions. and there are a lot of other veriables that go along with these newer engines. So I like others have said would get as much of this truck as possible if your going to try to convert this engine into an older truck.
I wish you well in your future project and I will be folloing your updates, Very interesting.
JKent
Me&My53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #13
cornerstone

Ok... so now I have the matching trans and radiator with fans and trans cooler. A friend of mine has a bud who works at the local Chevy dealer and is routinely converting these trannys to 2wd. He said it would run about 250-400 bucks using good used parts. I wasnt able to get the driveshaft but thats not a big deal. I want this install to look as factory as possible once its done.
My wifes Uncle bought this truck new and we were very close while he was alive. I met Loyd Stepens when I was 21 and new to Texas. They had a "ranch hand" house on their property they let me live in and wouldnt even take the agreed upon $50.00 rent, saying that I earned it by helping them around the property, and fixing broken stuff. I had the pleasure of knowing Loyd for about 8 years until he passed from alzheimers. His wife Laura is now in an assisted living facility and it is my desire to give her the first ride in the truck. The original 350 clapped out 3 years ago and its been sitting ever since. My 2 boys and daughter will help out on the project.
I'll get some photos up and be thinking of a build title to start a build thread.
Thanks for the input guys....Brian