The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
tcrist

Re: Flex plate change due to starter issues

Did you double check that both flex plates were the same size before you installed the new one?

From what has been posted so far, I do not think that the flex plate is the problem. Seems to me that the crack in the starter hole is the issue because you cant keep the bolt tight.

You will need to make a bracket to hold the back of the starter and probably another bracket to hold the area where the block is cracked in the starter hole.

It can be done, it will be a PITA, but it can be done.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #27
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ok I'm not the mechanic most of these guys are, but I was having starter problems due to heat from long tube headers. I did a ton of research on this online. I used a factory high torque mini starter off an 80 something Chevy truck. No need for a strap. You have to use the exact correct starter bolts for whatever starter you chose. I also read many times that you should not use washers on starter bolts, there should be no need if you are using the correct ones. Maybe I just got lucky but I did not have to shim. From what I read shimming a starter is a bit tricky. Google is really your friend on this. You don't have to limit your search on Chevy trucks. What you are doing pertains to any vehicle running the same combo you are.

And if you have a crack it needs to be repaired ... not sure how you would do it, but I don't think red locktite is going to be the correct fix.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 AM   #28
tcrist

CG,

Most of the older Chevys had a bracket on the end of the starter to help hold the starter from flexing. The starter flexing would be why the starter bolt hole would crack.

The fix right now rather then removing & repairing the block would be to attach a bracket to the end of the starter and maybe another one somehow to the same bolt that has the cracked bolt hole.

The other option for the bolt where the hole is cracked is to make a locking plate like the stock exhaust manifold bolts had. This bracket had tabs on it that would not let the bolt back out. It was only like 16Ga or 18 Ga steel sheet.

Of course this is just a bandaid, not a real fix.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:24 AM   #29
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My previous starter did have the strap, but it was the huge stock starter. The newer starter I used is much smaller mini/hi torque ... no place to hook a strap to it. But I like your explanation, it makes total sense to me now how this probably all went down, thanks.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #30
mcgoo26

Well I went digging around after reading this post, and sure enough, I found my build sheet. It wasnt between the seat springs, but rather between the gas tank and the tank cover folded up. Pretty cool! Back story, the truck in question was my grandfather's 72 C10 and he bought it in 76 or so from the first owner. I just recently inherited it. Pretty neat!
Attached Images

mcgoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #31
mcgoo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoo26 View Post
Well I went digging around after reading this post, and sure enough, I found my build sheet. It wasnt between the seat springs, but rather between the gas tank and the tank cover folded up. Pretty cool! Back story, the truck in question was my grandfather's 72 C10 and he bought it in 76 or so from the first owner. I just recently inherited it. Pretty neat!
Sorry in advance. In my haste and having too many screens open, I posted in the wrong place.
mcgoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
Halltmja

Going to try a new starter any recommendation ? Napa , summitt ?

Thanks
Halltmja is offline   Reply With Quote