The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Oriiginal Starters & Alternators

I have always either had my original starters, alternators, and carburators rebuilt by a local shop well known for quality work. But, when in a pinch I have bought over the counter rebuilt parts. In those cases I pick up the part before pulling old one, pay the core, and just keep the original. I've done this because I noticed these parts are ones that will work, but not always the exact same design/year part. Now I have quite a collection and wonder what the worth on these, as they sit are worth. Most are from 67-72 with some from the next generation since I've had a couple '78s. These days many are doing correct restorations and I wonder what the market is for these. what I am considering is, rather than sell as cores, I'd like to pay to have rebuilt and sell ready to bolt on. If I can come out ahead while helping another truck guy I'd like to do this. I have never had an issue with their bench work which is why I have dealt with them since the '70s. I know I can get more for a Quadrajet than what I pay, but wonder about the alternators and starters. Just last year I thought I needed a new starter and early one morning, in a rush, I grabbed the first one I put my hands on and ran it up the the shop. When I picked it up I saw it was a manual transmission application and the truck is an automatic. I'll hang onto it in case I swap a 4spd set-up I have and pondered doing, but it got me wondering about moving forward from clearing this stuff out, while making a little, and helping others. I'd never scrap them and would hate to see this stuff lay till the day someone else has to deal with it.
Do I have a marketable idea? I guess the question is, does it matter enough to people to want to buy a part from another guy rather than from NAPA who they can go right back and return? I will stand behind these, but shipping or a longer trip would be involved. I seriously doubt I would ever have to warrant a part. Is a correct part worth more money that a whatever part off the shelf from Mr. Big Box? I have found that these production rebuilds are hit & miss and the lifetime one you pay more for is the same part as the lesser warranty. You are buying a warranty you hope you never need to use, not a better part

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Oriiginal Starters & Alternators

I bought a pallet full of old original starters and alternators a few years back. You may remember some pics from sharpie72, don loverink and i bought alot of 67-72 parts at auction. I identified and e-bayed alot of those parts and didn't sell many. Alts were bringing around $20. A few of the alts for big blocks and car applications brought a little more. I ended up scrapping about 1/2 of what i had because there wasn't alot of interest.
Hope this helps.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto