The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
27carter

Bed Mat

I have a 64 SWB, was wondering what everyone's opinions were on best rubber bed mats to lay down on the wood bed when moving cargo. Something that would be heavy enough to not blow out with the bed is empty, but not too rough on the wood. I know I saw one in Jim Carter's catalog once upon a time, can't find it on his website. My truck project is just about done and want to make sure I have something the protect that wood bed. Thanks in advance for all your advice, this website has been a godsend for me going through this project!!!
27carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
WhippinSaw

Re: Bed Mat

I've heard people here using a horse stall mat, they are sold at farm supplies stores, sounds like they are thick enough to not blow away and inexpensive.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Hugh in NC

My short fleetside '63 has a metal bed by the previous owner. I got this mat from Summit Racing. It is a universal that has to be trimmed to fit. You will not find a better mat. It is thick and heavy. It also has little buttons on the bottom that will let it dry under the mat.

Here is a link to this mat:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lrv-6721d

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
cv65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh in NC View Post
My short fleetside '63 has a metal bed by the previous owner. I got this mat from Summit Racing. It is a universal that has to be trimmed to fit. You will not find a better mat. It is thick and heavy. It also has little buttons on the bottom that will let it dry under the mat.

Hugh

I have a stepside with same mat,just cut ears off of fleetside mat,Hugh is right you won't find a better mat.
cv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
27carter

Quote:

Hugh
Thanks, that looks like a great option!
27carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
oem4me

Quote:

Hugh
WARNING: I had a very similar mat that i used for years and it worked excellent for preventing load abuse and sun exposure to the wood/finish. I was in the habit of removing it after every rain and heavy wash, which was a pain because it was very heavy and would make black skid marks on my white wheel tubs and tailgate.
I sold that truck and used it in my next truck which had a very solid original deck. I got lazy and did not remove it after it rained.
The next time I pulled it out I was SHOCKED to see a blanket of white mold on most of the wood. That nice original bed wood went to hell in short order after that. Maybe 6mos to a year later it was toast. Lesson learned: let it dry out -UNCOVERED.
I'd get something just heavy enough to stay put, but light enough to come out easily.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote