The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Chrispbrown36

700R questions

First the stats...1987 Chevy V10 with a TBI 350, 208 transfer and 700R4 (this is what is listed on the invoice but I have not yet confirmed this by checking it out, but will today) I am wondering if something needs to be tightened up on my transmission. When shifting from park to overdrive the indicator sort of slips easily between overdrive and drive. If I shift straight to the overdrive position the truck remains in neutral, but if I shift over to drive it will kick into some sort of gear and then I can slide it back to the point where the indicator is pointing at overdrive. I honestly can't tell if I am in overdrive or just drive. 1st and second engage like normal, but there just seems to be some slop between overdrive and drive. I am really wondering if maybe someone hasn't put a non-overdrive tranny in it at some point and that is why there doesn't seem to be a difference between the two. Is there something I should look at tightening up? Linkage or otherwise? or am I possibly looking at a failing tranny? There is no slipage of any kind while drive.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Chrispbrown36

Re: 700R questions

Just confirmed it is a 700r4.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
crashz

It could have been swapped out and the PRNOD21 plate not replaced.

First thing to do is to check the transmission and ID it. Then check your linkages for wear and slop.

If you can actually feel the specific detents as you shift the transmission, but the pointer is not following correctly, that is common too. There are some very fine cables and springs that move the pointer with the column lever that are extremely delicate (my ham hands always destroy them somehow). You can just clean those up to help free up the action.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Chrispbrown36

The detents between drive and overdrive I would say are just barely there. If I slowly shift it I can just barely feel them catch but with even the slightest bump it jumps out. I did confirm it is a 700r, but did not check out the linkage....I will do that here in a bit. I had the dash apart last week and adjusted the indicator arm (and added an extension because the original was broken off so it barely showed in the window) so now it actually points to park, overdrive, etc. like it should. I also put a little grease on the plastic housing to hopefully help the indicator slide a bit smoother.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
wilkin250r

If the detents are really worn out, it's an indication that the rest of the transmission is likely worn out. Rebuilding it might be cheaper than buying a new one, but your truck would also be non-functional the entire time.

I like the idea of using my existing transmission while it still kinda works, and buying myself some time to find a complete new tranny.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Chrispbrown36

I can live with the lack of detents for now but I had assumed that the tranny was going to need to be replaced at some point. The truck isn't a daily driver....though since I got it I have a hard time not jumping in it when I need to go somewhere....so when the tranny needs to be rebuilt it won't be a real big deal.
Thanks for the help. I was hoping that maybe there was something I could tighten up to make it better in the short term.