The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Mullinsracing

71 fleetside outer bedside removal

how do you remove the outer bedsides from the inner bedsides? I want to hammer out some spots on the outer bed panels but there isn't enough clearance to the inner panel. are they just spot welded along the top?
Mullinsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 71 fleetside outer bedside removal

There are tons of welds. On the bottom of the inside where the inner fender goes, there even are some stitch welds. I've split lets see about two or three sets of those 67-72 bedsides and they are a lot of spot welds to get out before that thing comes loose. Def not something I 'd suggest to a beginner or somebody that isn't comfortable with that kind of work. I have put lots of bed skins on the late model trucks and this thing is a lot harder to do than skinning one of those. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Mullinsracing

thanks for the reply. I am going to try and do the best I can without having to remove the skin but I may have to anyway.
Mullinsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
rollinpjm

Don't know if self promoting is ok have and if not just say so. But I just removed a left side and I've put it up for sale. Hope everything works out for you but in the event you may need one I have one.
rollinpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Tumbleweed1C4

Its not really that bad. If you sand it down you can see the dimples around the perimeter from the spot welds, and there are quite a few, and they are not regularly spaced. Be prepared to go through several spotweld cutters. The biggest PIA for me was PO had welded stake pockets closed, so that was a B%$!ch. And the lip around the tail lights wanted to clamshell it together. Just be patient, and when you think you have all the spotwelds cut, you don't. There will be some that you can't see the dimple on.

72 K5 Blazer
72 K10 SWB (in pieces under slow construction!)
72 K20
Tumbleweed1C4 is offline   Reply With Quote