The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Guilty-by-Design

Steering column help

Having some trouble with my steering column explained in the video that sometimes I can't start my truck unless I push in on the steering wheel also I'm trying to figure out why we reverse lights also aren't working. both problems started after replacing turn signal switch

http://s109.photobucket.com/user/gui...04422.mp4.html
Guilty-by-Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Steering column help

make sure you have the wiring properly connected

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Guilty-by-Design

It should be connected right, there was only one flat connector to reattach and the turn signals and hazard lights work fine just not the reverse lights.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Just call me Sean

Reverse lights are a different switch, which you probably knocked loose. Same switch for the neutral safety.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
Reverse lights are a different switch, which you probably knocked loose. Same switch for the neutral safety.
^^^ This! I had this issue after I swapped columns and didn't have this connected properly. The connector is very easy to pull off and wriggling all the other harnesses around there did it to me...

For your other issue, the push the steering wheel thing, there's not much you can do to that replacing a turn signal switch itself unless you reassembled the steering wheel parts incorrectly. The ignition switch moves the steering lock post out of the way of the lock collar and that's it. Pull the steering wheel and see if it works any better without the wheel on. If it's still sticky, look at the turn signal piece to make sure it's not dragging on the lock collar.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
bnoon

Found a picture of the lock collar and pin... Nothing in the way as long as you put that collar back on right.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Guilty-by-Design

Ok will look into it some more, and pull the wheel again to double check I reinstalled everything properly.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Guilty-by-Design

Somehow when I installed these screws I didnt have them torked down giving the wheel enough play that it wouldent start, so with a healthy helping of locktite I made sure they were good and snug. Thats one problem down but I still dont have reverse lights and I have checked the other two connectors at thebase of the steering column and they are securely in place and all the fuses seem fine... any ideas

Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
bnoon

Alignment on the shifter perhaps??? Have someone stand behind the truck when you go from park all the way through to L1 and back. See if the reverse lights flicker on/off at all.

If that doesn't work, you can send power down the feed to the reverse lights, which I believe is light green??? Can't remember...
Old 03-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Guilty-by-Design

UPDATE: with the nice weather we have been having here in Kansas I had time to fiddle with the truck. I pulled the switch at the base of the column and found it was good so i pulled the bulbs both looked good... LOOKED. after testing the bulbs the driver side was bad and the socket on the passenger side was also bad. this is wast happens when you assume instead of testing.

As for the horn there is little aluminum post that i pushed in and turned which locks it into place however while in the locked position it cannot complete the circuit to sound the horn

just wanted to give this post closure