The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
catch2otwo

Air tank capacity?

So my neighbor put this idea in my head recently. He mentioned running a larger air tank on the truck and and just using my house compressor to fill it. This would allow me not to run any compressors just some manual switches and a couple gauges.

If I ran a 5 gallon tank, how many complete dumps and fill ups would I expect? Would it be reasonable to assume my number of dumps and fills would double if i use two 5 gallon tanks?
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
daily_danger

Re: Air tank capacity?

I'm not an air suspension expert, but my 71 came with bags in the rear. The tank is small 5-10 gal maybe, don't know, and the thought of not having a compressor would scare me. But to be honest that suspension scares me regardless, I see lowering springs in my future. Right now my compressor, with a 140ish-160 switch, switches on after 2-4 days of sitting. A dump and refill usually kicks the comp on. I could maybe refill three times and still be at a safe ride height without running the comp. I've soapy water leaked checked all the hackery back there and haven't found a leak.

Like I said, I'm no expert, thats just my experience. I'm probably overly worried about it, but it is my daily driver after all.
daily_danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
catch2otwo

Re: Air tank capacity?

thanks, thats kind of the information im after. My truck isnt a daily driver but needs to be reliable as such. Its my only 4 wheeled vehicle. I commute on my moto but use the truck on the weekends. Just seeing if its a legit alternative to running noisy/expensive compressors
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote