The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
62step

700r4 help

Ok, I just rebuilt this transmission (was from a 1983 chevy truck). I heard the 83's weren't very good 700r4's, and I think I just figured out why..

I was watching some videos of the lock-up wiring that I would need to do and I think mine is totally off.. I have 4 solenoids, I'm guessing for each gear, but the lockup wiring harness is only for the fourth gear..

So my question is, could I just take this whole harness out and leave the solenoids in there without wires going to it, and replace it with the '4th gear' lock up harness? and then run it like that or am I screwed? lol

Thanks
62step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Leverhead

Re: 700r4 help

Since nobody else has responded I'll give it a try. To compare, I have an '83 R4 in my '64 from a donor '83 Caprice Estate Wagon from my local U pull it . It was low miles and clean so I did a seal kit in it and it has run good for the last year. I have a stacked plate style cooler connected to it and run synthetic fluid and it runs cool and shifts firm and smooth. I use a vac switch connected to my carb to control the lockup. Inline is a connection to the brake switch to disconnect the lockup upon braking. I also have an led on my dash that is connected to the lockup circuit.

There were various wiring configurations for this tranny depending on the application, so I would verify this with a tranny shop and/or refer to an ATSG manual for all the wiring diagrams. I cant tell in the pics where all the wires are going so I would verify they are all related to the TCC.

It looks similar to mine so I'll try:

I believe the switch on the right is for 3rd gear lockup, the center is the 4/3 downshift (normally closed) that would disconnect the lockup upon downshifting, and the left is the 4th gear lockup (normally open). I rewired to only use the 4/3 DS and 4 CL (lockup). I left the 3rd lockup disconnected. The 4/3 is in series with the 4 CL to disconnect lockup upon DS. I don't know what harness or product you are planning to use to control your lockup converter but disconnecting them should only effect your lockup functions if in fact they (and the related wiring going to and fro) are all part of the TCC circuit and only the TCC circuit.

It helps to draw a little diagram with all the connections for some clarity. It is actually quite simple. I have a wiring diagram that I did for this job and if I can get it scanned I'll post it for you.

This worked for me...results may vary. Hope this sets you in the right direction.

Last edited by Leverhead; 03-20-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you searched in the Engine and Drivetrain section for info on this? There are many, many threads in there all about the 700R4, including a detailed step by step rebuild thread. You might also consider having a mod move this thread to Engine and Drivetrain, where you will get more responses.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
jjzepplin

The instructions on how to connect it up usually come with whatever kit you buy for the lock-up. I don't recommend locking in any gear but fourth. Do not tow in lock-up or carry heavy loads etc. I forgot mine was in lock mode and grenaded my first TCI converter and had to rebuild all over again. This time it's fourth or nothing with only a switch to disengage altogether. Otherwise it is still connected to the brake light switch and a vacuum switch to run only in fourth.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
62step

This is the kit I was planning to go with.. Just has a 4th gear solenoid switch then after connector just says to run a toggle switch..

http://www.monstertransmission.com/7...l#.VQ99KfnF-Ps
Old 03-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

from reviews I have read I would stay away from Monster Transmission. Try bowtie overdrive.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
Leverhead

Judging from the picture it seems you have everything you need to lock the TCC already. You could just apply power to the lockup solenoid thru the 4th lockup switch with a toggle switch...and still wire it thru the brake light switch as a disconnect when braking. This is assuming your lockup noid and pressure switch are functional.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
62step

I believe they are functional. I'm not too good at electrical though, Also how would I be able to get the toggle switch to function if the wiring is in the pan? I guess I'd have to run through the connector?

Are there any lock up kits on bowtie overdrive?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
62step

I found this one.. The brake switch kit..

I might go with this one.. but still not sure about the other solenoids in there.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=332

Last edited by 62step; 03-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Leverhead

The toggle would be inline (mounted in your cab) with a 12V wire going to one side. Toggle 'on' would supply 12v from the other side of the switch to the lockup circuit (one side of the pressure switch) via the external connector into the trans pan. The extra 2 terms on the brake switch would be wired after the toggle and would be an interrupt of the 12v when you press the brake to disconnect the TCC. The 12v carries on from the opposite side of the pressure switch to the lockup solenoid. The black wire from the noid would come back thru the connector to ground. The bowtie overdrive kit looks all inclusive although you could get the individual parts separately on an as needed basis if you wanted.

Pressure switch is Ac Delco 8643710
Brake switch is Standard products SLS110
External trans connector with pigtails is Napa EC79

Don't know the# for the solenoid as I used the one that was in the trans.

This is just one way to wire it....some diagrams have it ground switched. Some (like mine) use a vac switch to trigger the 12V 'on'.

Its a good idea to connect a small indicator light to the lockup circuit also.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Leverhead; 03-23-2015 at 09:11 PM.