The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
NastyBuzzard

Any EFI Live users on here?

I just purchased EFI Live FlashScan V2 tuner used for about $550. I have 3 trucks running LS setup now and have plans for at least 2 more so I figured I needed to learn how to tune.

So now I have it and I have been trying to learn using the literature provided and a few youtube videos but I am coming up short. I have successfully connected it to my 06 Silverado but can't get it to datalog or show me live data.

Anyone have any useful learning tools, vids, links, how-tos or advice on this? I have visited the forum but they just make me feel dumb, which I don't think I am. I am just looking for a route to get pass this steep learning curve.
2010 CTS V- The "NastyBuzzard"
1979 Trans Am - Eventually getting 6.0/T56 swap with boost
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Any EFI Live users on here?

HP Tuners is a bit more common (at least among non-diesel GM's). The overal functions end up pretty similar, unfortunately the procedure differs enough where I'm not sure if my input will be of any use.

Can you do all the other normal functions on your truck (like can you get a different tune to flash etc?)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
NastyBuzzard

Yeah I was seriously considering HP Tuners but they lacked some functions which I figured I would want to one day use or need.

I am sure it is all functionally the same idea or process just done differently between the systems.

I understand how to flash over a tune, I have also made a file/copy of what my current "stock" tune is. I just can't get it to datalogg or show live data, however I honestly have only spent maybe 2 hours playing with it.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I've owned EFI Live for 10 years now...I tried fiddling around with my bud's HPT setup and was completely lost. The GUIs are totally different, and the same functions/tables have different names.

Buzzard, you need to make sure you have the correct ECU selected before you connect. Then you need to "go online", with the correct PID's selected before it will report live data.

In all honesty, the EFILive forums are probably your best bet. Spend a TON of time reading, and using the search button....and you'll get it figured out.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
I've owned EFI Live for 10 years now...I tried fiddling around with my bud's HPT setup and was completely lost. The GUIs are totally different, and the same functions/tables have different names.

Buzzard, you need to make sure you have the correct ECU selected before you connect. Then you need to "go online", with the correct PID's selected before it will report live data.

In all honesty, the EFILive forums are probably your best bet. Spend a TON of time reading, and using the search button....and you'll get it figured out.
Yeah I selected the correct PCM, I even had it connected to my truck and all where it showed EFI LIVE underneath the speedo in the display. I selected the correct PIDs I wanted to display and all as well. What do you mean "go online" I was connected to my laptop and was connected to wifi.

Also, I thought the Flashscan V2 could record data alone without needing to be hooked up to laptop. I also tried to get it to show my Check Engine Light codes/dtcs or whatever and it wouldn't even show them.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

By "go online" I meant connnect to the ecu.

The V2 can and does monitor and record data, and read/clear DTCs.

Also, to my knowledge, the scanning, data display, etc ON A LAPTOP has to be done thru the V7.5 software, NOT the V8 software.

Did you read the instructions? Start on page 28.

http://download.efilive.com/Document...iveV75Scan.pdf
Turbo diesel
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
By "go online" I meant connnect to the ecu.

The V2 can and does monitor and record data, and read/clear DTCs.

Also, to my knowledge, the scanning, data display, etc ON A LAPTOP has to be done thru the V7.5 software, NOT the V8 software.

Did you read the instructions? Start on page 28.

http://download.efilive.com/Document...iveV75Scan.pdf
Ah, I see. I was using the V7.5 it switched over to it when I connected.

I did read through all that a couple weeks ago before I made the purchase. I guess I need to go through it again now that I have the device in hand.

Next I need to purchase a liscence and actually get started making changes. The 06 I am starting on is a mostly stock 4.8/4L60E setup. I did switch from 3.42s to 3.73s. I want to try and tune it for best towing/mpg before I modify then after it.

Eventually I need to learn to tune for adding turbos and nitrous and all other bolt on, cam/intake/head swaps. I have quite a few Gm vehicles I plan to modify once I finish building my shop.

Do you know of any other tutorials or anyone who could help or teach me who has used it before? I learn better by doing than by reading.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Forums are once again your best bet. Most folks who tune at a high level don't really like to "give away" techniques (at least not anything advanced), since its usually their job. My tuner and I have a verbal NDA against posting my tune for that very reason.

I get that they want to protect what they might view as IP..however, IMO that attitude shouldn't apply to just explaining things like deleting emissions, understanding the interface etc.

Random things I've learned from various tuners;
Save obsessively. Make a few small changes, SAVE.

Fuel and spark graphs should be smooth. Viewing your hi/lo spark tables etc should show smooth curves and rounded edges. Sudden cliffs or spikes indicate an anomaly or error. Take the time to smooth these out!

Don't just throw fuel and timing at it. 27-30* is all most of these need, with 32* being "high" *this is veeeery general...but just don't throw 38* and think it'll be happy.

Make sure you have a wideband either in the logging, or handy to view. Learning to use it helps you no matter what your goal.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Forums are once again your best bet. Most folks who tune at a high level don't really like to "give away" techniques (at least not anything advanced), since its usually their job. My tuner and I have a verbal NDA against posting my tune for that very reason.

I get that they want to protect what they might view as IP..however, IMO that attitude shouldn't apply to just explaining things like deleting emissions, understanding the interface etc.

Fuel and spark graphs should be smooth. Viewing your hi/lo spark tables etc should show smooth curves and rounded edges. Sudden cliffs or spikes indicate an anomaly or error. Take the time to smooth these out!

Don't just throw fuel and timing at it. 27-30* is all most of these need, with 32* being "high" *this is veeeery general...but just don't throw 38* and think it'll be happy.

Make sure you have a wideband either in the logging, or handy to view. Learning to use it helps you no matter what your goal.
I am figuring out that is definitely the case! People who are really good at it seem to want to keep their monopoly on this information. Have no fear, I don't plan to do this as my job. I just currently have 3 LS setups as well as 2 more in progress then I have my daily driver Cobalt. So it would be insanely pricey for me to pay a tuner so I just want to save my wallet by learning to tune myself. Seeing as I can't leave anything stock and GM left a lot on the table to be tuned for the better!

Thank you for the great advice!

I guess I do need to get a wideband, I kinda avoided it b/c I thought it was for mostly tuning at wide open throttle and to get 100% out of it, so I didn't see it as 100% necessary. Hopefully I can find one used or at a deal.

Thanks again.

However, if anyone wants to teach me and me sign a NDA or some sort not to display, sell or give away their tricks I would be happy to do so!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post

Good advice.

When I tuned my brother's cammed LQ4 monte SS, I think by the time it was all said and done, I had over 130 flash files for it, created over a couple months of driving it in different conditions. It takes a lot of time to get the drivability right, especially on a cammed engine....but that car runs *absolutely perfect* in all conditions and all weather.
Turbo diesel
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
NastyBuzzard

Quote:
Good advice.

When I tuned my brother's cammed LQ4 monte SS, I think by the time it was all said and done, I had over 130 flash files for it, created over a couple months of driving it in different conditions. It takes a lot of time to get the drivability right, especially on a cammed engine....but that car runs *absolutely perfect* in all conditions and all weather.
Nice! I am hoping one day I can graduate to that level. I definitely planned to do some head & cam swaps as well as some boost applications and maybe some nitrous if I can figure out how to stage it properly.

I just printed off all 195 pages of the User Manual and put it in a notebook. I am going to go through and read it all and highlight the important stuff.

I thought about purchasing a tune from someone in the beginning, but it would have to be from someone who doesn't "lock" their tune and be ok with me looking at it or through it to see what they do.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
comicaltatertot

Honestly I have been looking into doing EFI-Live and as I have been talking to people to do it the biggest thing they tell me is that it is a learn as you go kind of thing. One guy recommended getting an 98-02 Camaro or Firebird with an LS1 since they are cheaper and just use that as like your "learning vehicle" which is what I will probably do. That way you can make changes then save see how it runs then continue to do until you learn more and get better at it. Hopefully that helps man. Good luck
comicaltatertot is offline   Reply With Quote