The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Best riding rear suspension set up.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...del/c10-pickup

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #27
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Gotcha...but I was looking for drop springs...and I don't think variable rate springs are good for cutting coils from...I believe the rate changes between the middle and the end of the springs (I could be wrong).

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"

1980 C20 Long to short & static drop "Square One"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
SCOTI

Try finding a drop spring for a Chevelle/Malibu/Monte CarloSS. They utilize similar tapered ends on the coils like these trucks & might have a shorter/stiffer spring that you could use.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Try finding a drop spring for a Chevelle/Malibu/Monte CarloSS. They utilize similar tapered ends on the coils like these trucks & might have a shorter/stiffer spring that you could use.
So far it looks like I'm going with CPP 3" drop front springs and ECE 6" drop rears. CPP doesn't sell rear 6" springs, and ECE doesn't sell front 3" springs. I'd like to buy both from the same vendor but haven't seen one that has the sizes I want (3" and 6").

Also seems like spring stiffness is something most vendors don't even mention, except ECE who have big block and small block front springs.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
So far it looks like I'm going with CPP 3" drop front springs and ECE 6" drop rears. CPP doesn't sell rear 6" springs, and ECE doesn't sell front 3" springs. I'd like to buy both from the same vendor but haven't seen one that has the sizes I want (3" and 6").

Also seems like spring stiffness is something most vendors don't even mention, except ECE who have big block and small block front springs.
Earlier in the thread, GMC Pauls name was dropped & it's possible they have dropped springs w/a known spring rate. It might be worth the while to speak w/them & see what exactly they have before commiting elsewhere.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 AM   #31
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
Gotcha...but I was looking for drop springs...and I don't think variable rate springs are good for cutting coils from...I believe the rate changes between the middle and the end of the springs (I could be wrong).
Nothing is good for cutting coils really. Keep in mind there are a few different ways to go about getting a drop. I have cut coils, and they are high on my list of things to lose. The reason I suggested the variable rate, is that its usually the most comfortable springs that you'll find, while still being able to load the bed and not sag. You could run drop trailing arms with a full length spring and gain best of both worlds.

If there is a variable rate Jeep Wranglers spring, then that would actually be good for you. The wrangler spring has 2-4" of drop. Just going with a stock replacement wrangler spring itself might actually be a fair choice for you, even if a variable rate isn't available.

They are a bit softer/springier than is 100% ideal, but paired with a properly sized shock they do work well.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #32
Dentguy

I currently have the ECE set up. Rear 6" springs and front spindles and springs. I'm shocked at how stiff the rear is.

I chose to order up new Hotchkis springs as they are a true sport truck spring not just a shorter "stock" rate spring. Or at least this is what I've been told and believe as true. I also opened up my wallet to the new HQ Ridetech shocks. I'll let you know what the end result is when it all shows up.
Dentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #33
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentguy View Post
I currently have the ECE set up. Rear 6" springs and front spindles and springs. I'm shocked at how stiff the rear is.

I chose to order up new Hotchkis springs as they are a true sport truck spring not just a shorter "stock" rate spring. Or at least this is what I've been told and believe as true. I also opened up my wallet to the new HQ Ridetech shocks. I'll let you know what the end result is when it all shows up.
Are you going to swap it all @ once? There are several here that wouldprob be interested to see if just swapping springs OR shocks make the bigger difference & then how the new stuff works together.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #34
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentguy View Post
I also opened up my wallet to the new HQ Ridetech shocks. I'll let you know what the end result is when it all shows up.
Yeah man I'd like to hear whether the HQ shocks make a big difference. Do you have a build thread.?

I read on make it handle somewhere that a softer rear spring is good for these trucks so that they don't bang around so much. But others say that the soft spring will allow the truck to roll too much. I'm tempted to try a soft spring anyway with my rear sway bar and good shocks and see what happens (maybe GM Pauls for the softer spring?).

Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #35
Dentguy

I also have to install the rear sway bar.

I'll tell ya what! The shocks will be here in a couple days. The springs are out longer than that. I will install the shocks and let you know how they work.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #36
Dentguy

The current kyb shocks are wasted. I've owned the new Belltech sport ride shocks and they were very nice on my lowered Silverado. But with the new Ridetechs have 21 settings. I'm really looking forward to being able to fine tune the ride. Obviously not a fully adjustable bad ass coil over set up. But well see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted.