The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Racin_jason

Speedo cable question

Speedo cable is shot, called around and was told there were options for my truck. Upper or lower, and length of said cables.. Is there any way to determine what size I have to order without taking then off the truck. I only ask because the truck and the parts supplier are about an hour apart and the drive is just a waste

Thanks
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Liberty

Re: Speedo cable question

If you have cruise control you have two speedo cables. One from the tranny to the transducer, and one from the transducer to the firewall. I have a spare somewhere, but really they are cut to fit by you.

The cable is actually very easy to pull out. It just comes right out of the sleeve and goes right back in.
Attached Images

Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
If you have cruise control you have two speedo cables. One from the tranny to the transducer, and one from the transducer to the firewall. I have a spare somewhere, but really they are cut to fit by you.

Hmm ok. I'm venturing into new territory here, never done one before. I'll youtube done videos and research it before making it
Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Liberty

Check my edit, I've dealt with these goobers before. One thing you really need to make sure is that its not the transducer messing up instead of the cable. If the transducer is messing up new cables wont do anything.

Pull the cable, check for kinks, twists, knots, anything that looks unusual.
Lube the cable with graphite or tranny fluid, (your pick), and see of that fixes it.
If not its probably the transducer.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
Check my edit, I've dealt with these goobers before. One thing you really need to make sure is that its not the transducer messing up instead of the cable. If the transducer is messing up new cables wont do anything.

Pull the cable, check for kinks, twists, knots, anything that looks unusual.
Lube the cable with graphite or tranny fluid, (your pick), and see of that fixes it.
If not its probably the transducer.
Don't think I have anything like that under the hood. I'll check to make sure the cable is in ok shape and try giving it a shot of spray. Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Liberty

If you don't have cruise control then that little unit won't be there, I personally haven't worked on a chevy that didn't have cruise, so I dont know if you just have one long cable or if you have a split under the hood somewhere.