The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
mikec4193

How do you tie the new to the old???

Hi All you Chevy guys...

I see all the neat old trucks on here with all new modern chassis's and all the fancy electronic gauges that come with all the new stuff....how do you guys tie all the fancy electronic stuff to the old gauges and such??.....I have sold two projects because when I get to all that ohms law stuff I get really really squirrelly and I cave....just cant wrap my head around all that stuff...I pull the stock dash boards out and everything is looks like a rats nest to me...

Any insight would be great...

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
solidaxel

Re: How do you tie the new to the old???

......................... one circuit at a time!
Water in a hose is like DC Voltage only flows one way !
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Apachemike

Mark and remove the old harness, upgrade to a modern harness that has everything already marked on the wires and comes with a diagram. I cheat and upgrade the dash which comes with new senders too
Apachemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
OrrieG

If you converting 6 to 12 volt look at this.
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/12...onversion.html

Like apachemike said, modern harnesses are labeled and set up for modern column conversion or stock. I used EZ wire and the three times I had to call for information the owner answered the phone and I had my answer in less than 60 seconds. The only "ohm" issue is with gas tank conversions, but you can get sending units that fit the new tank but have the proper ohm range for original gauges (that is what I did). If you upgrade the gauges they will tell you which unit you need, or for $250 you can get a universal electronic unit that converts any input to any output.

I had never done a full wiring job. Read this thread, it is just paying attention to detail.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=664651
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
MARTINSR

Or you do like I do and don't upgrade to the new "systems" at all. I have ran stock wire harnesses and simply added the new harness for a stereo or what ever while leaving the stock harness doing it's job like it had for 50 years.

But as mentioned, looking at it as the totally separate harnesses that it is, the ignition system has nothing what so ever to do with the head lights or switches, the charging system wiring has nothing what so ever to do with the heater wiring, get it? They are just all tied together is all. It's like looking at the truck over all, the bumper brackets are bolted to it but they aren't part of the window regulator right? That's the best way to look at it.

But honestly, there is no reason what so ever to swap out wire harnesses, no reason what so ever. And if you were want a whole new one you could do it yourself, one section at at time and then just nylon tie them together at the end.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
67GMCkid

A smart man does not memorize every little thing about everything, rather he remembers where to look as each question he has arises..

When I started with cars, we all had books, catalogs and experienced old timers in our area to help in our search for those, "what the ---l do I do now moments". Now you have the world and all it's info at your fingertips..
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GMCkid View Post
A smart man does not memorize every little thing about everything, rather he remembers where to look as each question he has arises..

When I started with cars, we all had books, catalogs and experienced old timers in our area to help in our search for those, "what the ---l do I do now moments". Now you have the world and all it's info at your fingertips..
That would have been nice when I was in High School 50 years ago, I may have paid attention instead of looking at car mags.
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
OrrieG

MartinSR, I generally agree with you, but advising the continued use of 50+ year old wiring I question. I got my truck in 76 and over the years added a fuse box and "improved" different wiring. I also experienced two instances where the old wiring insulation failed and tried to burn up my truck. I found expose wire, a lot of the connections where broken and failing, etc. This time I figured $500 and a few days work was a cheap price to protect my five figure investment. Also, bad wiring, connections, etc. increase the load on the system and decrease the require power to components that can lead to premature failure.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
Advanced Design

Mike,

You can replace the original harness with a new one. The new harnesses are typically marked on each wire where it goes and the instructions are usually pretty good. I used a Haywire http://www.haywireinc.com/ on the 48 truck because a friend that owns a rod building shop uses them. It was a good package.

I then use new gauges that are electronic.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
MartinSR, I generally agree with you, but advising the continued use of 50+ year old wiring I question. I got my truck in 76 and over the years added a fuse box and "improved" different wiring. I also experienced two instances where the old wiring insulation failed and tried to burn up my truck. I found expose wire, a lot of the connections where broken and failing, etc. This time I figured $500 and a few days work was a cheap price to protect my five figure investment. Also, bad wiring, connections, etc. increase the load on the system and decrease the require power to components that can lead to premature failure.
I'm with you, depending on the year and condition, you could be very right! The cloth covered early wiring for instance, it can be pretty funky.

But the whole rip everything out and change it from the wiring to the frame on every car and truck has just gotten out of hand. That's my gripe, but you are very right there are times when it's needed.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
4544speed

"How do you guys tie all the fancy electronic stuff to the old gauges and such??....."

Many people just replace the old gauges with modern look alike parts (all 12v with electrical and not necessarily mechanical connections). That is this easy way. New wiring harnesses allow connections to new lights, wipers, fuel etc..... . Rewiring (IMO) is easier that many of the other skills required to put these trucks back on the road.

Buy a "How to wire a street rod" book from speedway motors. It is only 12-15 pages and cost 7-8 dollars. Money well spent if you want to adapt and/or change the current wiring and understand how to convert from 6-12 volts.

I have a mechanical speedometer but all other gauges are electrical.
4544speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
mikec4193

Hi Everyone

I am trying to keep this (my current Howard Knapp) truck as stock as I can with the exception of front disc brakes, K5 Blazer rear end and 12 volt alternator....in the end I think from a resale value I should do ok....I don't wanna dump boat loads $$$ into something and not be able sell it for what I have in parts into it.....

If I build another it will be all modern underneath....none of this straight front axle leaf spring stuff....I want the next one to handle like my daily driver S10 does....I love that little truck...

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote